Chapter 4

The first thing that caught his eye was a beautiful and delicate face, with willow leaf eyebrows, almond-shaped eyes, and snow-white complexion. She looked young, not yet fully grown, but already possessed an exceptionally striking appearance. It wasn't the kind of stunning or captivating beauty; on the contrary, she gave off a very comfortable feeling, with a non-threatening appearance. There was a shallow dimple at the corner of her lips.

She didn't seem like she was looking for trouble.

Having reached this conclusion, Pei Yuan's tense mind relaxed slightly, and the hand that had been exerting three-tenths of his inner strength also eased.

It wasn't until his gaze swept down and he saw Baoning's bright red wedding dress that Pei Yuan's pupils contracted. Suddenly, he remembered what Cuifu had said in the morning, that today was his wedding day, and the bride would arrive around noon. By then, she would return to the capital, leaving his princess consort to continue serving him.

Cuifu said those words with a hint of pity: "I heard your princess consort is a marriage of convenience, the daughter of the Rongguo Duke's family, right? Such a noble young lady, how could she willingly fall to such a place? And who knows how she'll treat you in the future, it's really pitiful to see."

Pei Yuan didn't know whom Cuifu was pitying, whether it was him or the princess consort who was about to marry him.

Thinking of this, Pei Yuan revealed a hint of irony. What she said was true. With his current situation, he was just a useless waste. Who would be foolish enough to serve him? Everyone was probably hoping he would die soon, right? Even the maids sent by the Ministry of Works dared to boss him around. Let alone a princess consort, anyone could tell she must be a hapless illegitimate daughter forced to marry, crying countless times on the way here, probably calculating how to escape now and coming to his room to gather information.

She should be very happy, right? Looking at him half-dead like this, once he breathes his last, she'll be a free woman.

...

Pei Yuan was stunned as he looked at her skirt. Baoning didn't know what he was thinking, so lost in thought that she didn't even notice the quilt slipping off.

Worried that Pei Yuan might catch a worse cold, she reached out and pulled the quilt back, wrapping it around his neck, and asked again, "Are you very thirsty? If you can bear it for a while, drinking cold water isn't good. Tell me where I can fetch water, and I'll heat it up for you to drink."

Quite the actress.

Pei Yuan snapped out of his thoughts, furrowing his brow disdainfully, and sidestepped to avoid Baoning's hand, tilting his head back to gulp down the water from the teapot.

Perhaps due to his trembling hand, at first, the spout of the teapot wasn't aligned properly, and some cold water spilled out, splashing onto his neck. Pei Yuan seemed not to feel it. He tossed the teapot back onto the table carelessly, wiped his mouth casually, and burrowed back into the quilt.

Being ignored from start to finish, Baoning felt a bit embarrassed. She touched her nose awkwardly.

After standing for a while, she felt that this standoff couldn't go on. It was better to start a conversation and improve their relationship.

Baoning squatted down, aligning her gaze with Pei Yuan's lying figure as much as possible, and spoke in the gentlest voice she could muster, "Fourth Prince, I am your..."

Before she could finish her words, Pei Yuan abruptly opened his eyes, impatiently saying, "Why haven't you left yet?"

Baoning was taken aback by his scolding, feeling a bit aggrieved.