Chapter 5

A gust of wind blew, and the door slammed shut with a bang. The room grew darker.

Dim light filtered through the window, casting Pei Yuan into silhouette. He stood with his back to the light, his features obscured by shadows. Tall and muscular, accustomed to martial training, his broad shoulders filled the small room, emanating a chilling aura.

Baoning stood awkwardly at the doorway, unsure where to look, her fingers tightly gripping the vegetable basin.

For a moment, Pei Yuan truly harbored murderous intent, a feeling Baoning could discern.

The room fell into silence, only the heavy sound of Pei Yuan's breathing could be heard.

Claiming not to be afraid would be a lie; Baoning's heart pounded in her chest. After a while, she managed to calm down and quickly pushed the door open to leave.

The cold wind made Baoning shiver; only then did she realize her palms were sweaty.

...

Having his most unbearable side witnessed by a woman he barely knew, Pei Yuan closed his eyes and swallowed hard.

That woman must find him repulsive, right?

Pei Yuan knew what he looked like now—dirty, unkempt, emitting a strange odor, more nauseating than the beggars on the street. At least beggars were healthy with functional legs, while he was covered in wounds, with countless scars, his disabled left leg repulsive. He was nothing but a complete waste, struggling even to take care of himself.

He had convinced himself not to care about others' opinions, but when faced with such a situation, he couldn't help but indulge in wild thoughts. He detested the disdainful looks of others, even more so their pity and sympathy. The feeling of having his dignity trampled upon was more unbearable than the pain of a sword cutting into him.

The stick had thorns, and as it cut into his palm, a piercing pain shot through him, but Pei Yuan seemed numb to it as he awkwardly left with his left leg.

Passing by Baoning, he didn't even spare her a glance and went straight back to his room.

Baoning's eyelashes fluttered, and she sighed before entering the kitchen with the cabbage.

Lighting the fire, boiling water, scrubbing pots, and mixing dough... Lump soup was the simplest staple food, requiring only flour and water.

Baoning sprinkled water onto the flour with a ladle, constantly stirring with chopsticks until it formed evenly sized dough lumps, distinct and uniform.

The fire in the stove burned brighter, and the red flames flickered, bringing warmth to the room.

Baoning poured some oil into the pot. Once hot, she added the chopped green onions, and the aroma of the fried onions filled the air instantly. Cabbage followed, and after a quick stir, she added water without overflowing, then seasoned with salt and wine before covering the pot and waiting for the water to boil.

After a while, the room had turned completely dark. Baoning fumbled for the candle and sat on a stool, staring blankly at the pot lid.

Steam escaped from the gaps in the lid, carrying the aroma of food. Despite the small and cramped room, it was filled with a warm and cozy atmosphere.

It felt like home all of a sudden.

Baoning thought of Pei Yuan.

She had really scared him just now.

Pei Yuan disliked her and wanted her to leave. Baoning could feel that, and she understood, not minding it. It might seem abrupt, but in her heart, from the moment she married Pei Yuan, she had considered him family.