Chapter 8

The sun was shining brightly, and Ji Yun stood at the door wearing a hidden blue brocade robe, with sharp eyebrows and starry eyes, exuding youthful vigor as he looked around eagerly.

Seeing Bao Ning coming out, his face lit up with joy, and he hurried over, lifting her up and spinning her around.

"Sis, how have you been?" Ji Yun was twelve years old, but he was tall, almost as tall as Bao Ning. He looked at her face, noticing her red eyes, and his expression darkened as he asked, "Did he bully you?"

Bao Ning wrinkled her nose. "No."

She couldn't lie, and those two words sounded uncertain, her gaze wandering around.

Anger filled Ji Yun's eyes. Afraid that Ji Yun would really get angry, Bao Ning quickly changed the subject and asked, "Why are you here? Did Auntie ask you to come? Did you bring anything delicious for me..."

"Stop!" Ji Yun accompanied her as she grew up, how could he not know her temperament? His sister was the kindest person in the world. Even when she was greatly wronged at her wedding, she didn't cry. But now she was crying. The Fourth Prince must be to blame.

He felt both distressed and angry, but Auntie had repeatedly instructed him before leaving not to cause trouble for his sister, so Ji Yun had to bear with it.

Bao Ning came out in a hurry, dressed lightly. Ji Yun was afraid she would catch a cold, so he took off his outer robe and draped it over her shoulders, saying quietly, "Don't worry, I won't beat him."

Bao Ning breathed a sigh of relief.

Ji Yun asked, "What about that person?"

He didn't like Pei Yuan, so he refused to call him brother-in-law, just referring to him as "that person."

Bao Ning hesitated for a moment before understanding who he was referring to, then looked in the direction of the eastern wing. "He's probably still sleeping."

Ji Yun gritted his teeth. "It would be good if he slept to death and never woke up again."

Bao Ning hurriedly covered his mouth. "What nonsense..."

"I'm just saying. What can he do to me? Hit me? My sister is so good, marrying him is his blessing for several lifetimes. Yet, he not only fails to cherish her but also dares to make you suffer. Does he lack eyes or has his heart been blinded by pig grease? Sister, wait a few more years, and I'll take you away. Let him regret it to the core!" Ji Yun's words were full of anger and resentment.

Bao Ning knew he was speaking up for her. Feeling both sweet and sour in her heart, she couldn't help but laugh and scold him, "Alright, stop talking. Hurry inside, and Sister will make you something delicious to eat."

"I'll speak softly to let off steam. Besides, he can't hear me anyway, so I won't cause you trouble," Ji Yun said, frowning. Then he remembered that he had brought a dog with him. He had been carrying it in his arms, but it wriggled too much, so he put it down. Now it was nowhere to be seen.

Ji Yun exclaimed and bent down to look around. "Sis, where's the dog? It was just here. Did you see it?"

Bao Ning shook her head. "I didn't see it."

Ji Yun became anxious. "Hurry, let's find it. The puppy is only a month old. If it catches a cold, it'll be troublesome."

Bao Ning quickly joined the search. They were talking at the gate of the courtyard, and beyond it was the forest. Ji Yun was afraid the puppy would run out, so he was about to go outside to look when Bao Ning pulled on his sleeve.

"What's wrong?" He straightened up and followed Bao Ning's gaze, meeting Pei Yuan's eyes.

Pei Yuan leaned against the door frame, looking at him expressionlessly. The hem of his clothes fluttered in the wind, and Ji Yun wondered how long he had been standing there, how much he had heard.