Chapter 9

Bao Ning exerted a great deal of effort to pull Pei Yuan back onto the bed. He was tall and broad-shouldered, sleeping like a log, as heavy as a bull. Bao Ning was afraid of touching the wound on his leg, so she struggled for a good while.

When Pei Yuan finally lay properly on the bed again, Bao Ning was sweating profusely and panting on the side.

After resting for a while, she got up to light the lamp.

The wine jar had broken, and the floor was covered in broken porcelain. The strong smell of alcohol pierced her nostrils, making her feel nauseous.

Didn't this man know how to take care of himself?

She served him well every day, hoping for his quick recovery. If he continued to drink like this, all her efforts would be in vain.

Bao Ning was angry.

She lit the candle, casting a dim light. Bao Ning protected the flame with her hand and went to check on Pei Yuan.

He had almost fallen to the ground just now, and she didn't know if he had injured his leg.

The firelight shone on Pei Yuan's face, and Bao Ning's heart skipped a beat. His face was pale, beads of sweat dotted his forehead, probably from drinking too much. His lips were dry and cracked, with blood seeping out.

She had only been gone for a day, how could he have tortured himself like this?

Bao Ning's heart pounded. Afraid that Pei Yuan might be seriously injured, she half-knelt in front of him and whispered, "Fourth Prince, Fourth Prince?"

Pei Yuan remained motionless. Bao Ning grew more anxious. Without thinking, she reached out to touch his eyes, shouting, "Pei Yuan, wake up, don't scare me!"

"Pain..." Pei Yuan's eyeballs moved slightly, finally opening his eyes and murmuring.

Bao Ning almost cried out, quickly retracting her hand. "Okay, I won't touch you. Where does it hurt? Tell me, okay?"

Pei Yuan gradually regained consciousness, but all he could hear was a buzzing sound in his ears. He thought it was his imagination, furrowing his brow in discomfort and rolling onto his side, curling up and not saying a word.

Seeing him in such a pitiful state, Bao Ning's anger dissipated almost entirely.

She placed the candle on the table and sat beside him, using a handkerchief to wipe the sweat off his face. She softly asked, "Does your leg hurt?"

Pei Yuan tightly pressed his lips together, still refusing to speak.

Seeing his posture, Bao Ning furrowed her brows and reached out to touch his abdomen. Due to lying on his side, to make this movement, Bao Ning's arm had to wrap around Pei Yuan's waist, inadvertently pressing against her skirt. Bao Ning stumbled, her fingertips brushing against Pei Yuan's waistline.

She didn't touch his skin, just grazed against his clothing, but Pei Yuan reacted suddenly. He abruptly opened his eyes, grabbing Bao Ning's wrist and pressing it down.

Bao Ning was pulled down, her cheek hitting his groin, the pain making tears well up instantly.

Pei Yuan sat up, grabbing her neck with his other hand, sternly asking, "Who?"

This set of movements was smooth and fluid, as Pei Yuan thought he was encountering a surprise attack and used all his strength. Bao Ning's wrist hurt, her face hurt, her neck hurt. She was weak and couldn't break free, like a cat being pressed down by Pei Yuan on the bed, coughing incessantly, unable to utter a complete sentence.