Chapter Nineteen

Applepaw

A light rain drizzled from the sky as Midnightwish brought a yawning Applepaw out of camp for the dawn patrol. Cactusthorn and Gingerheart were the other warriors going with them, and they were led by none other than Rubystar.

The group slipped through the forest, towards the rising sun. Applepaw squinted against the bright light in front of her. The border, marked by a large, twisting pine, came up ahead.

They stopped just before crossing into FrostClan territory. "Gingerheart, Cactusthorn, and Midnightwish, you go towards the mountains and check that there are none of those rogues that we spotted last time," Rubystar instructed. "I'll go back towards Gathering Beach. We meet back here when the sun is at the tops of the trees."

"You're going alone?" objected Midnightwish. "You could run into a fox, or-" she shuddered, "that cat who killed the SparkClan warrior."

"Actually," the leader replied smoothly, "I wanted to take Applepaw for some extra training. I'd like to see how she's doing. By the way," she added, an amused look on her face, "it's very unusual for you to be concerned about me, little sister."

Applepaw's mentor gave a begrudging smile. "If you say so, leader." The three warriors walked off in the direction of the towering mountains.

Rubystar set off at a quick pace, causing Applepaw to run to catch up. As they went closer to the river, the apprentice eyed Rubystar. The tortoiseshell had responded to her son's death by hurling herself into clan life, joining several patrols and helping the apprentices train. On the rare occasions she was even in camp, she did not seem to sleep, instead pacing in her den or speaking with Littletail.

Applepaw was surprised when the leader took a sharp left turn, closer to the center of their territory. I thought we were patrolling the border. She followed Rubystar to a small sand dune.

The black she-cat looked around. They were in the sandy part of DustClan's land, with short dunes rising up all around them. Ahead, Forestdapple was padding in circles, seeming impatient. She glanced up and saw her daughter, relief washing across her face.

"Mom? What are you doing here?" Applepaw questioned. Forestdapple purred and nuzzled her cheek, though she was still tense.

"Never mind that. Quickstream is doing a... test on you. He's doing it with all the apprentices," she added hastily, making Applepaw doubt he was doing so.

"Why?" the apprentice asked, confused. Her mother looked away, trying not to make eye contact.

Quickstream padded out from behind a pile of sand. Applepaw didn't see him much, which was another reason to add to her bewilderment. The mottled gray tom generally kept to his den, letting his apprentice Meadowpaw do most of the work.

Forestdapple and Rubystar had moved away, to a distance of about three foxlengths on either side of her. Applepaw looked between them, narrowing her eyes. "Will someone tell me what's going on?"

The medicine cat stood in front of her and meowed gruffly, "You can hear me, right?"

"Yes," said Applepaw, uncertain of what he was doing. "Of course I can."

"Good. Now, without moving your ears," Quickstream said, "can you hear what your mother is saying?"

Applepaw concentrated on keeping her ears still and focused on Forestdapple's voice. "Yeah."

"How about Rubystar?" the medicine cat asked, flicking his tail. Applepaw tried to hear the leader's mew, but it seemed as though she was saying nothing. She shook her head, catching a few notes as her ears turned in the tortoiseshell's direction.

The three cats all came into Applepaw's field of vision. "You're absolutely sure you didn't hear Rubystar?" Forestdapple mewed worriedly.

"I didn't," the black she-cat insisted. She turned her green eyes on the leader. "You didn't say anything, did you?"

"Well," Rubystar said carefully, "I asked you to turn your head, and either you weren't paying attention, or you actually couldn't hear me."

Applepaw felt as though the ground were dropping out from under her. "You mean there's something wrong with me?" she whispered.

Her mother wrapped her tail around the apprentice. "It's okay," the black and white warrior said quietly. "It's not as bad as it could be. Your right ear is perfectly fine."

"I don't want to have half hearing!" Applepaw wailed, burrowing into Forestdapple's shoulder. "Why does this have to happen to me?"

Rubystar came closer and licked the black apprentice on the forehead. "You're going to be okay. Come on. Let's go back to the rest of the patrol."

Applepaw sniffled and went to follow the tortoiseshell, but her mother stepped in her way. "You can't make her go on patrol! She just learned that she's unable to hear on one side!" Forestdapple meowed protectively.

"All right," the leader agreed. "You can have the rest of the day off." She turned to walk away, then paused and looked back. "There is still nothing holding you back from being a great warrior, Applepaw. You just have to be strong."

Applepaw lay curled in her nest, almost asleep. She probably would have dozed off if not for the giggling and whispering coming from the other apprentices. Her own siblings were heavy sleepers, and had been snoring since sunset. That's Minkpaw. Great StarClan, that tom makes enough noise for all of them!

At midnight, five of the apprentices stood and crept out of the den. Applepaw didn't notice them until one stepped on her tail. She yelped and quickly leaped to her paws.

"Shhh!" Bloomingpaw slapped a tail over the black she-cat's mouth. Her eyes were frantic. "Outside!"

This has been the most confusing day of my life, thought Applepaw, but she followed her friend out anyway. Once they were safely tucked behind the den, she asked, "What in StarClan's name is going on?"

"No matter what, you can't tell anyone!" hissed Larkpaw, tortoiseshell fur bushed out. Her brother Milkweedpaw laid a tail on her shoulder to calm her.

"We're sneaking out," Snowypaw said flatly. "And Larkpaw's right. You can't tell anyone."

"Please explain," Applepaw mewed, eyes flicking between the other cats. Even Meadowpaw, the medicine cat apprentice, was there.

"Remember Fire Lily?" Bloomingpaw tilted her head in question. "She had to leave today, but before she did, she asked us to meet her on Gathering Beach."

"Why, though?" persisted Applepaw. "I thought she was just the story cat."

Snowypaw glanced up at the sky. "We don't know. That's why we're meeting her. And we're going to be late if we don't hurry."

"Please, please, please don't tell anyone!" Meadowpaw begged. "I didn't get to hear her stories at all, and I really want to. Quickstream will never let me if he finds out!"

Applepaw was surprised that the older apprentice wanted to come. Her brothers and sister were all warriors by now, but Meadowpaw had yet to earn her full name.

"I won't tell anyone that you're going," she said finally. Meadowpaw breathed a sigh of relief and grinned.

"Thank you! Come on, Milkweedpaw, let's go!" The small black she-cat turned and was about to start sneaking through the dirtplace tunnel, when Applepaw spoke again.

"If you take me with you."