5

XYLO POV

"I need y'all to fix this table, I found it in the junk yard and the man said it's been there for years, and that we can keep it if we fix it" Filthy said to me and his other homies that work for him as well

I looked at the table for a moment and squinted my eyes. I don't know why, but it looked so familiar to me.

"Xylo!" He said snapping his fingers in my face.

"Sorry- It's just- I can't help but wonder where I've seen this table" I said.

"You ain't seen it, he said it's been in the man's junk yard for years" Taylor, one of Filthy's other workers said.

"Man- I have" I said.

Then I had a slight flashback of my mom eating at the table with me, and my grandmother.

"That's my mama's table! This was her dinner table before she died!" I said running over to it and I started lifting up all the parts that were broken off.

"Really?" Filthy said.

"Yeah.. I remember. When she died, the man came and asked if we were getting rid of anything. My mom's friend gave him the table... We got our grub on at this table" I said.

Filthy looked at me and said "For real?"

"Mhm. Every Sunday night." I said.

"There's no way we can fix it though, looks like it's been through water damage" Taylor said.

"We're gonna get this table back together, and eat at this table. I'm gonna have it restored" I said.

"Have what restored?" Jerome said, finally chiming in. Another worker.

"He's right Xylo, the shit is done" Taylor said.

"Nah we need a table and I'm not buying oen so it's gone get fixed." Filthy said.

"It's done" Taylor said.

"That's the problem with you and with Jerome. Y'all always give up, always. And it's me and Filthy that picks up the pieces" I said rolling my eyes.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Taylor asked.

"Just let it go" Jerome said.

"No. So tell me what that shit supposed to mean Xylo" Taylor said.

"Exactly what it sounds like, you settle for what life hands you instead of making it what you want." I said rolling my eyes.

Taylor and Jerome always got on my nerves.

"And selling drugs at age 17 in the middle of the street cause ya mama died and you ain't got nowhere is to go is making life what you want huh?" Taylor said.

I chuckled.

He always goes below the belt.

"Taylor, chill the fuck out nigga" Max, Filthy's girlfriend said as she walked in the living room.