13

XYLO POV

Double update

"Aye Xylo" Taylor said walking into my room

All of us are living at Filthy's even though he's dead and gone. I'm finding my way out though, everyone else plans on staying. I'm trying to restart my life.

"Yeah" I said looking through my notes I took down for Roddy's case.

"We all finna walk to Panda Express and get food. You down to come?" He asked.

"I'm gone have to take a rain check on that" I said.

"I see. Working on the business case for the store of Roddy and his family?" He said.

"That's the one" I said.

"Against the big lawyer Wayne Johnson and the judge McKenzie Bates... I wouldn't wanna be you. Wayne is one of the best lawyers, he's ruthless. And the judge is just rude." Taylor said.

"Well, shit, can't wait." I said chuckling.

"Well if you need anything let me know" Taylor said.

"I could use a few quick criminal court rules later if you know any" I said.

"Yeah I'm good with that. I'm gone get food first and then I'll get it for you" Taylor said.

"Okay coo" I said and he left out of my room, shutting the door.

-

RODDY POV

Me and Xylo were sitting in the office waiting for the opposing lawyer, Wayne Johnson.

Who's been a fucking thorn in my ass. Really tryna put me in jail, take investments and everything from my family's store.

But I believe in Xylo. I know she can help me, plus this will be her first case.

"I thought we were supposed to be here at 1" I said to Xylo.

"Yeah we are. They keep us waiting to rattle us." Xylo said looking at her watch. "I don't like it either but I'm not gonna let them see it, and neither are you okay?" Xylo added.

I nodded my head and said "Aight coo"

And just then, Wayne Johnson walked in and said "Sorry to keep you waiting. I'm Wayne Johnson"

"Hi. Xylo Harris." Xylo said extending her hand and they shook hands.

"You look young" He said to Xylo and she chuckled saying "I'm sure."

"I'll cut to the chase" He said.

"Great." Xylo said.

"Your assets and the spending far exceeds your income" He said to Roddy.

"Uh, if you don't mind- You need to address your comments to me, Mr.Johnson." Xylo said to him.

"Please, call me Wayne. But, we think your client here, shredded documents towards the store to frustrate the prosecution of the business manager, Jayson." He said.

"Bullshit" I mumbled.

"I've got files on income tax evasion, accessory to bank fraud, accessory of money laundering. And well, just for giggles, obstruction of justice." Wayne said.

My eyes widened and I said "All that shit is cap"

They really tryna fuck me over right now.

"It's okay Roddy, it's okay." Xylo said.

"If your client is prepared to help us apprehend the charges against the business manager, we can discuss reducing some of the charges against him. If not, we're talking somewhere around 40 years in prison." Wayne said.

"I'm not interested in reducing the charges, I'm interested in dropping them." Xylo said.

"He's gonna do some time." Wayne said and I chuckled shaking my head.

No the fuck I'm not.

Xylo looked at him and said "We'll put the specifics of your offer in writing, we'll consider it."

Then she stood up, so I did too.

Wayne stood up and said "Come on, just make the deal. I can tell you're on the labor law side of things. And this ain't labor law."

"Ooooh really?" Xylo said sarcastically. Then she looked at me and I laughed.

She handling her shit. I fuck wit it.

"See you in court." Xylo said as she started walking out the office and I followed her.

"I would've thought you were a lawyer already, the way you just handled that" I said and she chuckled.

"I've been studying since I was 12 years old. I know a thing or two" Xylo said.

"I knew you would.." I said and she smiled.

"Look, we both gotta get ready for court in two hours so. We gotta get changed and everything" She said.

"Yeah my family is coming too so. But don't be nervous, they believe in you just like I do" I said.

She squinted her eyes and said "Yeah right."

"Okay, my mama kinda trippin because she feels like you're too young to know anything but-"

"See that's okay. I'm used to proving people wrong." Xylo said. I just looked at her and she winked at me. "Let's get going" She added.

-

Two hours later

"He's a criminal. Guilty of accessory to bank fraud, accessory of money laundering and obstruction of justice. Also, income tax evasion with the IRS. Aren't we all supposed to pay our taxes and follow the law? Rodrick Moore think he's different. And you all can show him that he's not. You'd do that, with the verdict of guilty. Thank you." Wayne Johnson said to the courtroom before he sat down.

I shook my head.

This nigga gets on my damn nerves. I looked back seeing my mom wanted to say something but I said "It's aight mama"

Xylo stood up and cleared her throat.

"I have a confession to make. Uh.. I'm afraid of the IRS. Okay? Drakula, wolf man, never even made me wince. Jason, Freddy cougar, nothing. But the IRS? Whew, it's scary. And Rodrick Moore shares that fear. But he's no criminal. And the prosecution knows that. They haven't presented a shred of evidence that's substantial because there is none. The business manager Jayson has put all of those items in Rodrick's name. Ladies and gentlemen, the power to tax includes the power to destroy. The first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court said that in 1819 and it is just as true now. Don't let the government destroy this man's life with no more than any window and inference. The only thing Rodrick Moore is guilty of is hiring the wrong business manager. And being afraid of the IRS. But then again, who isn't?... Thank you." Xylo said before walking back to her seat.

I smiled a little, then looked back at my family and they gave me a thumbs up.

"Told y'all" I mouthed.

"Alright, performer motion made, were adjourned for the day, and will have the results first thing tomorrow morning." The judge said before banging her gavel.

-

To be continued ☕️