But The Sun Continues Rising

Korra groggily opened her eyes as her internal clock woke her up at the same time it did every morning. It took her a moment to remember where exactly she had fallen asleep. She looked around as everything that happened the previous night slowly came back to her, silently she prayed that it wasn't a dream. She peered down to see the expected beautiful woman still fast asleep inside her arms, and was slightly surprised to see her still resting so peacefully. After everything that had come to the surface with Hiroshi. She had expected the princess to be awake all night, with Asami's analytical mind constantly working overtime Korra assumed that she would be up running her mind in circles to the point where Korra would inevitably have to try and come up with a plan to get Asami to sleep for at least a few hours. By some gracious miracle, the inventor had managed to fall asleep on her own, and without any trouble, by placing herself inside Korra's firm hold. It had certainly been unexpected, but far from unwelcomed. Being able to hold Asami in such an intimate manner gave Korra an overwhelming sense of warmth and pride. Especially because that hold had put Asami to bed in an instant. The heiress hadn't woken up the whole night, and the knight was thankful for it. Asami needed the rest, especially if she really wanted them to go back to the underground workshop tonight. She wished she held the courage and resilience that Asami currently carried with her, but she had to admit that she was more than hesitant to head back down to the undertaking depths of that horror shop. The adventure tonight wouldn't be as taxing as it was yesterday now that they had some idea of where they were going and most of what was down there. Most of the Equalists and their allies had probably cleared out now that Lin knew of their base of operations, but that didn't mean there weren't a few people or secrets lurking about. Korra herself felt uneasy about everything, she couldn't possibly imagine how the princess was feeling. Although the request to go back seemed odd in Korra's opinion. To jump so quickly to breaking down completely to finding the resolve to go back and search everything more thoroughly seemed like quite the switch. Asami had taken a night to be remorseful, to let herself feel, and then she was ready to tackle the problems that lay hidden beneath the ground. Korra didn't know how Asami found the courage to go back to that place for a second time. A hint of worry made itself known in Korra's mind that Asami could very well by pushing all her feelings down and repressing them instead of actually working through them. This all had the potential to be very unhealthy, but if Asami said that this was what she wanted, and she was confident that she could handle the horrors that they might find below, Korra was going to trust and support her every step of the way.

She watched as Asami's body slightly rose and fell with each deep breath she took while peacefully asleep. Korra tried not to move in fear of waking the princess up to face the horrible reality she had been thrown into just the night before. It wasn't fair that she had to go through all of this. Asami had tried to justify being left alone, to go through this on her own, without anyone's help, but Korra couldn't fathom the thought. She wasn't going to deny that the heiress had been rather harsh. Yes, Asami had given her a smack on the cheek, and her words still left Korra's heart aching when she thought about them. But Asami had been hurting too. Korra could certainly imagine that it was difficult for her  to accept that her only blood family was an evil terrorist supporter. Korra would be in denial too. It wasn't like Korra had been around all that long, despite how close they were. Her worst didn't hold as much weight as Hiroshi did. Korra couldn't say the same for her situation, but she couldn't definitely understand wanting tangible proof. She'd find every reason she could to ignore the accusations until she had solid evidence proving otherwise, and that's exactly what Asami had done. In a truly shocking turn of events last night, Asami had refused to join her father. She instead helped the mages defeat him by taking him down herself. They all watched as the former king's body writhed on the floor before making a run for it. That couldn't have been an easy feat, to turn on the only parent she had. Korra's heart went out to the woman, she genuinely had to be the strongest person Korra had ever had the honor of meeting. She was glad Asami had seen the evidence, and trusted Korra's judgment in the end. After all, nobody could deny evidence once it was presented to them. It was certainly beneficial to have Asami on their side. If the skilled, genius, inventor was working for the enemy, they didn't stand a chance at taking the Equalists down.