1

I like to think everything happens for a reason.

Maybe not one reason, maybe not two, but many, different reasons.

It brings me peace, to think the world has a path it takes. A path it never strays from.

I like to think everything happens for a reason.

Except, it doesn't, does it..

Nothing does.

We have free will.

Even then, I still find myself gripping onto the theory.

Everything happens for a reason.

My mind drifts as I look up, finding myself wandering deeper into unknown territory.

I shouldn't be here.

My mouth lifts into a small smile, as I turn my music down, taking in my surroundings. There are trees lining the forests edge, I watch them sway, as i stand in the middle of the clearing, the sun slowly dimming as it starts to fall behind the bordering grass.

I clutch my backpack, which is currently falling down my right shoulder, taking in the sight around me.

It's so pretty.

I don't remember the last time I've been able to see so many trees.

I was used to the city.

That is, until we moved.

My mother, Crystal, never liked being in the city. She wanted something more, 'real'.

My father, James, loved the city.

He loves my mom more.

My brother, Dylan, misses his friends. I can tell. It's even worse considering we both turn 18 tomorrow.

We're Twins.

I can always tell when he's lying. As can he. He tries to make the best of the situation, but I know he would rather spend his birthday with our friends. As would I.

Although, I could get used to this.

My thoughts take me deeper into the forest. Soon, without realizing, i become engulfed by the trees, looking back to find where I came in.

Or my way out.

My body stiffens slightly with panic.

The sun seemed so much more helpful, brighter, in the clearing. Now, it seemed like the forest was closing in on every strand of light that tried to poke through.

My eyes dart around the trees, looking for any sign of life, of human life. I find myself staring at the ground. My feet pick up pace, following the little trail of tire marks on the dirt floor.

As the trail thickens, the trees begin to depart from each other, leaving a clear enough view of the road.

Looking back, it's almost as if the trees had shifted back into place.

Where did I exit from?

My thoughts escape me as a voice in my head starts to speak.

Just keep going.

Without a second thought, I start to run, leaving all that was once beautiful behind as civilization consumes me.

My feet become slow along with my escalated heart rate when I am face to face with the building I had left an hour ago.

Is this home now?

"Ruby!" My thoughts are ripped from me when I hear my mothers voice echo through the wind. She smiles, waving me over to the front porch.

The house wasn't too big. It was a green house with white trim around the roof and the windows. It was cute. I could see our neighbors house from afar.

There's so much land.

"Hey ma." I give her a small smile which she returns, I swing my arm around her shoulders as we walk into the front of the house.

She is my best friend.

She wore a long skirt with a pink and blue floral print, matching with her light blue tank top that read "Natures Child." She was kind of a hippie.

I love that about her.

"Wanna go to the market with me before it gets dark?" She looked at me, with puppy dog eyes, almost pleading that i'd go with her. As if i'd say no.

"Market? Isn't this the 20th century?" I laugh, looking at her with furrowed eyebrows.

Her face morphs into a playful grin, "Yeees, but, we aren't in the city anymore! We can use fun words like 'market' now." She teases, poking my cheek.

My face falls as I remember what time it is. "Alright well, we should go then," I pause looking out the window, remembering the darkness of the forest that had almost swallowed me whole. "It's almost dark. How far is the market?" I ask, praying for the sun to stay just above the earths horizon a little longer. It's scary out there at night.

"Only a 10 minute drive there." She replies, grabbing her keys from the counter, which was covered in unpacked boxes.

As we head towards the market, my eyes drift to the side mirror of the car, watching the stars trying to peak through the suns sharp rays.

It was beautiful.

"You like it?" My mother sighs softly, glancing through her rear view, watching the dancing sky as well.

"I do. It's perfect." My head subconsciously leans back onto the seat, as i let out a content sigh as well, "I don't want this to ever go away." My thoughts surround me as I catch myself thinking back to the forest, the trees, the grass.

I don't want this to ever go away.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Oh my gosh.

I haven't written a story in soooo long. i'm so so so excited to share all these chapters! I have so many ideas.

Wish me luck! <3