5

"Only when the last tree has died,

and the last river been poisoned,

and the last fish been caught,

will we realize,

we cannot eat money."

-The Cree (A Native American Tribe)

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The sun caresses my cheeks, my eyelids opening to the touch.

I rub the drowsiness from them, the events of last night circling through my mind.

"I believe you."

After we found the second book, everything started to spin. I felt my whole world come to a stop.

Nothing was simple anymore.

We had stood there in silence for a minute, taking in our surroundings. There were so many questions, yet so few answers.

Except there are answers, I just have no clue how to read them.

Dylan does.

I am soon snapped from my thoughts, focusing on the knock at the door.

And another.

"It's unlocked." My hands reach the hem of my bedsheet, pulling it off of my body. I sigh lightly, smoothing down my oversized t-shirt and heading to my bathroom.

The door opens, revealing a smiling Dylan.

I continue walking towards my bathroom, calling out to him, "Whats making you so giddy this early in the morning?"

No really, i'm curious. It's our second birthday without mom.

How could he be happy?

I grab my toothbrush, pressing some toothpaste onto it and tossing it in my mouth.

"Morning? Ruby, it's twelve in the afternoon."

It's, what?

"Huh." I shrug, "I guess I slept longer than I thought."

I don't mind.

If I could have day, one day that I could skip, it would be today.

I make my way out of the bathroom to see Dylan sitting on the edge of my bed. He doesn't bother looking up, as he's deep into searching through moms journal.

"Hey," I snap my fingers, Dylan looks up slowly, his eyes departing from the book.

"What?" He asks, still sitting on my bed, in my room, that he just walked right into.

The audacity.

"I asked you a question before, why are you so smiley?"