3

It's been a year.

It's been a year since the crash. Since I held my mother for the last time. I feel lost.

I feel broken.

I try not to think about the pain of it all. It's unbearable, but, from time to time, I find myself remembering that night. The night a wolf, bigger than any i'd ever thought, stepped in front of our vehicle, almost mockingly. Almost, waiting.

My hand clenches into a tight fist, remembering the hospital.

There's something almost peaceful thinking back to that night. I don't know how, or why, but I could feel her. Comforting me. As if her essence was standing right behind me, telling me it would be okay. I remember watching my dad fall to his knees, realizing just how real it all was.

Dylan was next to me, the shock still evident on his face. Soon enough, the tears found their way sliding down his cheeks.

He didn't want to let go of my hand.

I stood there with him, having a silent battle internally, tasting the salt which stained the edge of my lips. All I could do was stand there.

None of us got to say goodbye.

As I think back I remember my dad. I remember the late work nights he had. He told us he needed to be there, that they needed him there.

I knew it was a lie.

He needed something to take his mind off of home, or what was once a fresh start.

He missed her. He still does.

It's been a year since that night.

Yet I find myself reliving it everyday.

So deep in thought, I subconsciously stand and start pacing back and forth on the rocky terrain. My hand tightens around my mothers journal, as I walk down the side of the hill.

She had always kept a journal entry of every day since grandma passed. I've already read it all, some of it sounding more like riddles, but I still like to reread her beautiful cursive handwriting from time to time.

When I reach the base of the hill, I hear a distant crackling noise, making me halt in my tracks. The noise comes again as a small red fox jumps out from the bushes. His nose curls, scrunched, ready to defend himself against any threat.

I paused, slowly kneeling down to his height. His face softened, revealing his light golden eyes. He sniffed the air, slowly making his way over to where I was knelt down.

He flinched as I reached for my bag to pull out my peanut butter crackers.

"It's okay, i'm not going to hurt you." He's cautious but continues crawling towards me with his head down, eyes up.

"Are you hungry?" I ask, not awaiting a reply. He instantly takes the cracker in his mouth and runs back to the bush he was once in, pausing for a moment to look back at me.

I smile, remembering how my mother would of loved to see this. She's the reason i'm out here.

As I make my way to the road i glance down at my phone which reads '4:00pm'.