10

The walk was quiet.

Dylan would occasionally make fun of me for wearing winter clothes as if it wasn't snowing outside- but other than that, no one spoke.

Usually our bickering would cause dad to laugh.

He just smiled.

I could tell all of this was forcing him to grieve. I don't think he spent one day thinking about the accident.

Now, he's forced to remember the love that was taken from his heart, and the hole that he gained in place of it.

We stood there. Waiting at the entrance of the forest. I'm not sure what we're waiting for but it just seemed right.

"They won't mind." I look to Rosie when I speak. Expecting her to validate my unknowing hope.

She nods, lifting her lips into a smile. "They won't mind." Her words were whispered, reassuring herself in the process.

We begin entering the dense woods, climbing over roots that were now covered in snow.

My steps falter when I hear the sound of bows being drawn back, and punches being handed out.

"I'll go get Syrus." Dylan makes his way to the big green tent that I can't bring myself to look at.

I am no longer curious.

"Crystal?"

I turn to see Syrus looking at Rosie with pain in his eyes.

"No, no." Rosie's eyes meet the ground as she holds her hand up to stop him from walking closer.

His face falls, stopping in his tracks. "Rosie."

She nods, looking back up to meet his eyes. "Sorry to bother your training, I thought you might want to talk." Her face becomes serious, crushing the guilty emotions which laced her eyes a moment ago.

He forces a smile. "Yes I suppose we should." He turns, looking to Dad, who I didn't realize was watching the river as it froze. "Is this James?"

At this, my dads shoulders stiffen, turning to lock eyes with Syrus. "I am. Yes. You must be Syrus." He holds out his hand.

Syrus takes Dads palm firmly in his, shaking it. "I guess we'll talk while the two of them train. We can meet back up in say.." He looks to his watch. "An hour?"

I nod, giving him a knowing smile.

This is only my second day training for the 'end of man kind' as we know it-
and yet I already can't stand the people here.

As the three of them begin to disappear into Syrus' dreadful tent, Dylan and I begin walking towards the training grounds.

Standing in front of two very beat up men, was Echo. He was facing away from us, until Dylan-

"Hey man!"

Echo spins on his heel, meeting our eyes with his. "Hey, you guys ready?"

No.

"Yep."

I roll my eyes as Dylan completely ignores my thoughts for once.

"Fine. But i'm not doing 20 laps again." I place my bag onto the supply table, wrapping a bandana around my hair.

"Oh no. We're not doing laps today." His voice is hard, a smug look crossing his face. "There's no time. We're putting you two into real training."