9

My palms are sweating now, as they lay folded against my legs. After we had explained the journal entry to Syrus he had called everyone into his quarters. Dylan and I were sitting at the table, watching Syrus explain the change in urgency to 50 odd men.

"That's not enough time!" One man yells, hitting the table, causing me to flinch.

"We can't train everyone that quickly!" Another shouts.

"How do we even know this is true!" I wince at the booming voices, my hand scrunching tightly around the hem of my sleeve.

"Everything will be fine. The visionaries children are with us. Everything they've read is true." Syrus' voice comes out stern, staring down each individual who spoke against him.

All eyes lead to me.

Not Dylan. Me.

The room falls silent and I can feel my cheeks becoming hotter by the second.

One man speaks up. "We're supposed to trust a girl who can't even hold her own weight?"

Ouch.

My face hardens, but I stay quiet.

Dylan stands with clenched fists. "If you want to figure this out yourselves, be our guest." His sudden burst of confidence causes me to stare up at him in disbelief. "You. Need. Us." He points a finger to the man, then to the table.

The man scoffs, rolling his eyes. "We don't need anybody weak enough to let their own mother die."

At this, I let the anger within me burst. "You need us! You need ME. I may not be a fighter, but you know you need me!" I'm screaming now.

"As for my mother.." I pause, slowly looking up to meet the man's eyes. "You didn't deserve to see her. To hear her words. Or feel her presence. So you don't deserve to speak of her. Ever."

The room is quiet again.

I turn to the crowd of men, searching for the intriguing blue eyes, but he's gone.

I can't bring myself to stay here any longer. I quickly stand from my seat, not taking a second glance, and walk out of the tent.

I can hear Dylan calling after me.

I just need to go.

I don't want to be here with people who don't care.

I just need to leave.

"Ruby please!" I ignore him.

"Ruby!"

I turn around, now face to face with Dylan. "Please go. I just need to walk. I'll be back." He looks at me, questioning me. "I promise."

Before he can speak, I turn, walking deeper into the wonder of trees. He doesn't follow.

I can't help but be drawn to the river.

It's beautiful and clear. Crystal clear.

Crystal.

Mom.

I'm sorry..

I couldn't save you. If I could go back, I'd trade places. I want it to be me. Not you. They need you.