Chapter 5

APOLLO ||

"So, let me get this straight," Liz snips with a finger in the air and her eyes clenched shut in that way she did when she was annoyed with something or someone. "You both are leaving the pack for two weeks, in order to keep King Sloane happy?"

"No," Lorenzo shakes his head. "We're leaving to visit Alpha Killian's pack because Killian needs our help - financially - and when Sloane got the request, he approved it, but not before asking Apollo and I to report any suspicious activity or abuse of power situations in Killian's pack."

"Why?" Fallon asks and my attention turns to her. My fearless Omega. "Why would King Sloane want you two to basically spy on Alpha Killian's pack?"

"Because Sloane has been trying to find ways to overthrow Killian from his position, but none of his pack members will come forward with issues. Most likely because they fear him," Lorenzo explains and I find myself leaning back into my chair, that exhaustion from earlier still there. "If we find anything of value, Sloane promised us Killian's lands and that could really help us considering we're still looking for Apollo's fated."

This time, my gaze is pulled to Lorenzo. He doesn't look at me, but I know he feels my attention on him because he's reaching under the table and placing his hand on my forearm, giving it a gentle squeeze. I have no clue what I would do without this man.

"Just admit you're in love with him already." — Slade whispers, his lovestruck eyes also on Lorenzo from the shadows.

That was no secret. I've always been in love with Lorenzo. Ever since we were teenaged pups, shifting for the first time and coming into our own, I've loved him. But I have a fated now - a man who is mine and who I belong to. I couldn't risk that because I had feelings for my Beta, and Lorenzo agreed with that.

The night of my coronation when I'd not only found but lost my mate, Lorenzo also spent the last night with me that we ever could have spent together. We hadn't touched each other or anything like that - we just laid together. Him holding me through my own anguish and me wishing I could have both of them.

That was nine years ago. Foolish dreams of a 23 year old pup who believed he was a man. I wasn't. Not yet. Now I know these hidden feelings that I harbor for my Beta can amount to nothing more than just that.

Lorenzo also has a fated out there and it's not me. This connection we share may never fully go away, but it will dim when we both have our other halves in our grasps. That much I'm sure of.

"Do you think Killian will show his true colors while you're there?" Liz asks and I find myself wondering the same thing.

Lorenzo was optimistic. Me, not so much. Then again, I'd grown tired and incredibly negative these past nine years.

"I hope he will," Lo nods with a small smile, his hand still on my forearm beneath the table. "That way we can claim his lands. He doesn't have much but what he does have will help aid the search."

"And the lands between his and Alpha Ryden's pack?" Fallon questions. "What about those? They're unclaimed? Can't we go look there first?"

"No," Lorenzo releases a small sigh. "It's littered with rogues and creatures from the Ruin River between their packs. We have no idea what we're up against over there. So we have to be careful scouting that area."

"So if you're both leaving for the next two weeks, who will be in charge while you're gone?" Fallon asks.

"You all will," Lorenzo replies with a pleased smile. "You're our pack leaders for a reason. Fallon, you're the best Omegan leader we've had in years. Liz, you're the toughest and baddest woman I know. Probably the only one I know who can lead an entire warrior squad and keep those knuckleheads in check,"