Chapter 2: Faith

"You must be my roommate!" I say optimistically before my parents have the chance to get a word in. "Its so nice to meet you, I'm Faith." I rush forward and hold out a hand.

"Oh shit, cool. Yeah, its nice to meet you too, I'm Beatrix but you can just call me Trixie," My roommate, Trixie, responds. I try and hide the cringe on my face when she drops the swear word. It definitely didn't help her case in my parents eyes. We're a strict no-swearing family.

Trixie eyes my outstretched hand weirdly, like the concept of someone introducing themselves with a handshake is foreign to her. I realize then that maybe it is. I don't think typical 18 year olds are shaking each other's hands when they first meet. Nevertheless, she lightly grips my hand and shakes it in return.

"Are these your parents?" Trixie asked, turning her attention to my mom and dad behind me.

"Yeah," I chuckled awkwardly. The less amount of interaction between the better. "Uh, this is my mom, Sandy, and my dad, Dan."

"Good to meet you guys," Trixie said. I had to stop myself from groaning at her casualty with my parents. They're big on southen-style respect, which includes always calling strangers older than you "ma'am" and "sir". "I like the setup you have in here."

"Yes, well, it was very nice to meet you, Beatrix, but we have to be off now," Mom brushed her off. "Faith, if you could walk with us back to the car?"

"Of course. Well, uh, I'll see you in a bit." I smiled at Trixie, hoping she couldn't sense my parents dislike of her.

"Yeah. I think by the time you get back up my parents will make it here, so I can introduce you," Trixie said as she moved further into the dorm so we could make it out.

I just nodded, trying to usher my parents out the door. The moment we were in the hallway and walking away from the room, the floodgates opened. Of course it seemed my parents couldn't even wait until we got to the car to start voicing their thoughts and opinions.

"I don't like that girl. Not one bit. She is bad news and you better stay away from her," Mom said, shaking her head.

"Mama, she's my roommate, I can't stay away from her." I sighed, kicking myself that my roommate would end up being the worst possible pick in my parents eyes. Just my luck.

"I don't think I care very much. That girl is not your friend. You will go to church and you will find actually good friends there. That girl is nothing but bad news and she will drag you down," Mom lectured. "You coexist with her, but don't go makin' friendship bracelets because she is a bad, bad character."

"You just met her, Mama. She seems nice. You never know." I want to point out that the Bible says not to judge, but I think if I said that it wouldn't get a warm reception.

"Faith Anderson, it's best you just stop talkin' and listen to what your Mother says. You are not to be friends with that girl and that is final." Dad finally adds his peace to the conversation. I'm not stupid enough to try and argue what he says, and when he shuts down a conversation, I just have to accept that and move on.

"Alright," I retreat from the argument, knowing I'm fighting a losing battle. The rest of the walk back to the car is silent and uncomfortable, but I know it's my own fault. I should've just agreed with what Mom said and let it rest. My restless hands find my ring once more, twisting it around and around.

We stop at the car, and there's a pause. "Well," Mom says. "You be good. Remember what we told you." She's cold now, like she always is after an argument.

I don't sigh, because that would look like impedance. Mom and Dad give me a less than warm hug each, and I stand and watch as they pile themselves back into the car and peel out of the dorm parking lot.