Chapter 4: Faith

It's finally Friday, and I'm thanking the Lord that I finally made it. I need this weekend, desperately. Trixie and I already have a spa day lined up for Saturday, and I'm so excited to get pampered. Her place as my new best friend was definitely cemented when she came up with that idea.

Still, though, before I can let myself escape into the weekend, I have one class. It's an easy one, just my Creative Writing class I chose for my elective. It's fun and it's pretty small, it's definitely more reminiscent of my classes in high school which I definitely enjoy.

When I make it to class, someone else is sitting in the seat I usually occupy. Instead, there's some kid sitting there, talking to the girl in the seat over. If I had to guess, he's probably flirting with her considering the blush spread across her cheeks and the little giggles she makes after he says something. I smile, happy they seem to have found each other and search for a different seat.

The only ones available are either one between two rowdy boys or one in the middle of class next to a mild-mannered girl. My decision is quick and I pray for some confidence as I walk over to her.

"Hey," I say, grabbing her attention. "Is this seat taken?"

"Oh my gosh, absolutely not, go ahead." The girl smiles back up at me and waves a hand towards the seat. I thank her and take the seat. "I saw you earlier in class, and I have to say I love your outfits. They're always super cute. I'm Madeline, it's nice to meet you."

Madeline holds out a hand and I can't help but grin at the familiarity of the action. I gladly take it and shake. "Oh my gosh, thank you so much. You're so sweet. My name is Faith."

"Are you a freshman?" She asks, propping her chin up in her hand.

I nod with a blush. "Yeah, can you tell?"

"Just a little," Madeline admits. "But it's totally okay. I'm a sophomore, and I was the same exact way as a freshman, don't worry."

"That's good to know. I feel like I'm walking among giants here. It's like I'm 7 and trying to hang out with the 12 year olds on the playground again," I admit.

"No that is so real. I definitely felt the same exact way. It doesn't help that for some reason all the guys around here are giants who eat whole chickens for dinner." Madeline laughs and shakes her head. I can't help but laugh with her. I can't stop smiling, I think I'm actually making a friend. Madeline apparently notices this smile, because she then says, "Oh my God you're so adorable. If I was a guy, I'd be all over you."

I giggle again at that. "Oh my gosh, no. You're way too kind."

"Girl, don't sell yourself short. Have there been any guys trying to get your attention since you've got here?"

I shake my head. "No, not really. I mean..." My mind flits back to the pool and the guy in the boxing room. "There was this one weird occurrence but that was definitely just an anomaly or something."

Madeline snorts a little. "I don't think I've heard anyone other than my professors use the word anomaly in years. Don't worry, I like it. But tell me more about this 'weird occurrence'-" she brackets the word in air quotes - "Now I'm intrigued."

"It was literally nothing," I say, sighing a little. "I was just at the pool and there was this guy..." I run her through the cliffnotes version of the events of Tuesday, giving her more detail on the mysterious guy when she probes for more. "Like I said, nothing. It was just weird and he was... insanely attractive. I think I just got distracted. I am not one to pay much attention to guys, especially not ones with tattoos who hang out punching things at night."

Madeline makes a strange face, like some sort of realization dawns on her. "What?" I ask. "Whats that face you're making for? Do you know him?" I expand. "I mean, if you do that's totally fine I didn't mean to insult him if he's your friend. I definitely wasn't insulting him I mean I don't think there's much to insult when you look like that, but still. I-" I prattle on, afraid I offended her, but Madeline stops me.