Chapter 5: Faith

The fight was starting now and everybody was cheering. A glance over to Trixie showed that she was practically vibrating with excitement. I didn't spend much time watching her, though. I was too busy watching the guy from the pool, Blade.

I didn't know how I felt about the name. I understood its purpose. Of course he wasn't going to participate in illegal underground fights with his real name. But I wasn't sure how well it fit him. I could only wait with bated breath to see how he shaped up in an actual fight.

Blade and Kingslayer circled each other in the ring while the crowd shouted at them to fight. As anticipation and fear filled my stomach, my fingers found the ring on my right hand and started twisting it. I didn't even bother trying to stop myself from the nervous habit, I knew if I didn't do anything with my hands I'd probably go insane.

Blade started taunting Kingslayer, gesturing his hand in a sort of "come here" gesture, like he was inviting him to make the first move. Blade was far taller than Kingslayer, having an entire head over him, but he wasn't nearly as stocky. A hit from Kingslayer would definitely hurt. Kingslayer fell for the taunt, lunging forward and punching Blade square across the jaw. I cringed at the impact.

Blade's head knocked to the side, but he didn't take long to recover. I thought I could see a hint of a smirk on his face as he spit at the floor quickly before rounding on his opponent. It was like the hit from Kingslayer unleashed something in Blade. He started fighting back, much to the crowd's pleasure.

All I could do is watch in awe as Blade flitted around the cage with no effort. He dodged each of Kingslayers attempts to make contact, his fists flying back in retaliation. At one point his fist flew up and clocked Kingslayer in the nose. That sent the crowd to new heights as a sickening crack followed the impact. Blood spurted from Kingslayer's now broken nose and I flinched back.

The two continued on like feral dogs fighting over a bag of food, but Kingslayer never stood a chance. While he was able to get in two more hits to Blade, Blade entirely overpowered him. In a swift move Blade landed another punch to Kingslayer's jaw, this one filled with more power than all the rest. It was enough to destabilize him, and Blade took the opportunity to sweep the bulkier mans legs out from under him.

He went crashing to the ground and the crowd lost it's mind. Blade didn't stop there, though. He followed Kingslayer to the ground and started pummeling his face in again and again and again. He was completely blind to the violence and I couldn't stop the shocked gasp from leaving my lips as he continued to decimate his opponent.

That's when he looked over. He stopped hitting Kingslayer's now limp body as the emcee started yelling over the microphone once more. He was still kneeling over Kingslayer when he turned his head towards the crowd. Towards me.

Those hypnotizing eyes landed on me immediately, and it was just like at the pool all over again. It was like time stood still. Our eyes met and the connection lit up. My body was on fire as he looked it up and down. His eyebrows narrowed as he seemed to remember where he was, and I could see the questions he had spinning in his gaze. I couldn't offer any sort of answer, just a shrug.

That's when his eyes focused in on my chest. I immediately went to cover myself but stopped when I realized it wasn't the peak of my breasts above my dress he was staring at, but rather at the cross pendant hanging there. My hand flew up out of reflex to grasp onto it. His gaze then moved to the purity ring on my finger, and any chance of me being able to read his face flew out the window.

Just like that, everything seemed to resume. He broke off his gaze as the emcee hopped up into the ring and pulled him up by his shoulder. "His reign continues, your winner is Blade!" The emcee shouted out, holding up Blade's arm by the wrist in a victorious salute. The crowd screamed louder than ever.