XXIV

"Oh Shockwave," said Vivi softly. "I'm so sorry."

"You're sorry for me?"

"I am," said Vivi.

"Not for the others?"

"Them too."

"You're sorry for me."

"Yes."

Shockwave looked confounded, then broken hearted. "I..." His mouth hung open for a long time. At last, he shut it and shook his head.

"I know this is so much," said Vivi. "It's beyond words."

"Yeah," said Shockwave. "I... can't believe it."

Vivi nodded.

"You... helped me."

Vivi nodded.

"You somehow got me to talk."

Vivi nodded.

Shockwave stared into space for a while longer. Then he shook his head. "I can't make it all better. I can't change what I did."

Vivi shook her head a little.

"I can't change who I am," said Shockwave.

Vivi shrugged a little.

"You think I can?"

Vivi thought for a moment and said, "I don't think you're defined by what you've done. But if you want to avoid hurting people in future, I think you can do that."

"How?"

Vivi shrugged. "Having someone to talk to? Like we're doing right now."

"Like therapy?"

Vivi nodded a little and shrugged.

Shockwave put his face in his hands. "Nothing makes sense anymore."

Vivi gently put her arm around him.

They stayed like that for a long while. At last, Vivi said, "I'm getting sleepy. Is it okay if I go now, Shockwave?"

"...Yeah."

Vivi picked up the pieces of her armour and stepped through the barrier. As she turned to say goodnight, Shockwave said, "Vivianne... thanks."

Vivi smiled and nodded. "You're welcome. And... My friends call me Vivi."

Shockwave nodded. "My name's Dan."

A big smile spread across Vivi's face. "Goodnight, Dan."

"Night, Vivi."