First Encounter.

This fic is a Medieval Alternative Universe inspired by William the Conqueror's conquest of England and in which Buggy is the Duke and Crocodile and Mihawk are knights.

The fic is actually fully written and contains 23 chapters which will be posted twice a week, on Wednesdays and Sundays. Hope you'll enjoy the journey!

Just a small disclaimer: Though I am inspired by medieval times, in no way do I seek historical accuracy, and though I won't voluntarily use misinterpretations, keep in mind that there will be some mistakes!

_____________________________________________________________

The King was declared dead at 10:18 AM, surrounded by his closest personal attendant and a few of his most trusted courtiers. No descendants of his were present when the King breathed his last breath.

His body was not even cold yet that the news had already crossed the borders of his territory. The highly coveted and newly empty throne caused a stir in the entirety of Europe, the power it entailed being of the utmost importance in the balance of Europe's political order.

In its direct line of succession were two appointed brothers; Red-Haired Shanks, and Buggy the Jester. Both living in the Kingdom of France.

The eldest, in his early twenties, with hair red as fire, was the Duke of Aquitaine, in Poitiers. The younger, in his late teens, with hair as blue as the sea, was the Duke of Normandy, living in the Château de Falaise.

The two men were not of the same blood. They did not share the same parents, and though they were both Dukes, they did not share the same relations. If they were often referred to as brothers, it was, namely, because they had been raised in the same household, and had both been disciples of the same man: Gol. D. Roger, King of England, and newly deceased.

The two boys had been raised by his side from the age of 5 to 16 for Shanks, and 3 to 14 for Buggy. After completing their training and gaining connections, the two boys had been called back to their respective families, with the promise from the King to pass on his throne to the boys upon his death.

The details of such a deal had been carefully hidden, and not even the two boys or their families were made aware of the actual content of such agreement. But five years later, it seemed that the time had come for the two Dukes to claim their due.

______________________

Naturally, the news reached Buggy first. Its unexpectedness caught him by surprise, the letter sporting the familiar stamp of the Royal Family not once arousing his suspicion.

He was standing alone in his own chamber when he unsealed the letter, eager to read the news coming from his beloved father figure. The world could be a cruel place for nobles, friends turning out to be foes, and foes very well looking for your seat. In such a context, good souls like King Roger could be a literal gift from the sky, and their friendship was to be treasured.

Finding Rayleigh's writing instead of Roger's wasn't unusual, but the first sentence was.

'Dear Buggy,

It is with great sorrow that I am writing this letter to you. This very morning, at 10:18, Sir Roger died.'

Buggy stood there, unable to read the rest of the letter as his vision blurred with tears. His first thought was that it had to be a deception, a ploy of some sort to make him do foolish things. But his heart knew. It was Rayleigh's handwriting, and the blonde man would never agree to take part in any sort of power games. More than that, Rayleigh would never write about Roger's death if it wasn't real. He wouldn't. Couldn't.