Sleep-addled And Caught Off Guard

The journey back to Falaise went smoothly. Regardless of the outcome in Domfront, it seemed that Don Krieg's attack had not been intended to reach this part of Normandy.

Jinbe and his men bursting inside the castle's courtyard drew the attention of many onlookers, people freezing at the unexpected sight.

Galdino was the first one to get out of the carriage, holding the door open for the Duke to step outside, and his sight seemed to set people back in motion, reassured when they realised that this was nothing but the Duke coming back.

Accompanied by Galdino and Jinbe, Buggy climbed the stairs leading to the front door from which a frantic Rasiphe came out. 'Buggy?! What's going on?' He asked, running to meet Buggy.

The Duke let himself be grabbed by his friend, the other man pulling him by the shoulders, holding him upright. Rasiphe took a look at his face, seemingly taking in every little detail that showed what kind of night Buggy had gone through.

Softly, the man asked. 'Buggy, what happened? You were not expected until tomorrow morning?' He pointedly did not ask about the knights.

As if he already knew Buggy would need some time to answer, Rasiphe turned towards Jinbe. He sent him a nod before talking. 'Could I safely assume that your presence confirms that you're joining us, Count Jinbe?'

The latter nodded in affirmation, and it seemed to be the only answer Rasiphe needed to get moving. He, accompanied by a servant, led Buggy through the castle's door, immediately heading to a room usually only reserved for the Duke and his advisors.

He sat Buggy down on a couch, but was prevented from standing back up by Buggy's hand on his wrist. 'Are they here?' The Duke asked, the first words he'd said ever since he had arrived.

Their absence from Buggy's side spoke volume, so Rasiphe did not need to think through to know who Buggy was talking about. He shook his head. 'No, Buggy, they're not here. But I'll tell you when they arrive, I promise.'

Buggy made a face, not liking the information. He closed his eyes and laid down on the couch, curling up.

'You should let him rest, Rasiphe. He needs it, we'll explain the situation to you.' Jinbe said, already urging everyone outside of the room. Rasiphe hesitated, not wanting to leave his friend's side.

'He's exhausted, things happened, and the shock is catching up on him... He needs to rest, especially if we want him to make proper decisions later.' The Count of Vire added.

With a last sigh, Rasiphe stood up. He put a hand against Buggy's shoulder, squeezing reassuringly. 'We'll be in the next room, Buggy. Rest, I'll come later.'

The Duke barely acknowledged him.

______________________

Buggy stirred hours later, to nothing in particular. Not entirely rested, but not feeling like sleeping anymore, he sat up, rubbing his face with one hand. He had half a mind to rush outside to see if Crocodile and Mihawk were here, but he knew that if no one had warned him yet, then it meant that they had not arrived.

The blue-haired man had grown used to their constant presence by his sides, loneliness an anomaly in his life now. Buggy swallowed, taking note of the dryness in his mouth. Finishing waking up meant he now recalled Rasiphe's words, and the fact that the two Counts and his own advisors were just one room away from him. The Duke did not feel like showing himself yet. Instead, he went in search of a glass of water.

Finding his way easily to the kitchens, he poured himself a drink, sipping occasionally as he walked back to the room he'd been sleeping into. He pushed the door open silently, walking inside the lounge.