Bury The Hatchet

Buggy arrived way sooner than the time he had been expected to, he realised quickly.

There was no one to welcome him at the front of the castle, and he had to convince two guards that he was not some random drunkard, but the Duke himself. After realising that these two would not let him through, he had to start negotiating.

'Alright. I understand this might be hard to believe for you, but if you could, please, call for someone who could recognise me, we'd all be out of this ridiculous situation quickly.' Buggy said, hands gesturing around him.

Still, the guards did not concede. One of them countered. 'And then I'll have a pissed advisor on my back 'cause I woke him up because of a headcase's ramblings. Don't think I will.'

Buggy sighed, throwing his head back towards the sky. He looked at the fading dark blue shade for a few seconds before he tried from another angle. 'Okay, so, let's imagine something. If you do wake an advisor and I turn out to be just a headcase, you'll end up with an annoyed boss who's going to, in the worst-case scenario, put you in the stables for a few days, and I'll be roughly sent away.'

The two soldiers nodded to indicate that they were following. 'So, it's annoying, but it happens. Now let's imagine that I am telling the truth, and that I really am the Duke. If you do refuse me entry, I would leave Vire pissed off and potentially in danger. Then, I would come back again, just to find you two, and make sure that you would never be hired anymore anywhere in the Duchy.'

The guards did not seem to like this case.

Buggy put his hands up in a placating gesture. 'Now, now. In this case, you could also call an advisor, who would be able to confirm my identity. He wouldn't be annoyed, because you would do your job. And I would not be pissed either, because I understand, and respect, your determination to protect your Count.'

Buggy tilted his head, opening his hands, palms up, before him. 'So, what will you choose?'

Both guards looked at each other. Silently, they took a few steps back to debate on the procedure.

Next to him, Galdino leant close. 'Well said. It has the merit of making them actually think about it, so I'd say it's well done. I must admit I wasn't really seeing this end up positively.'

Not looking away from the two guards, Buggy answered Galdino. 'Thanks, I'm not that good with swords, but at least I have mastered my art of talking. If they refuse, I don't know what to do, though. They'll either call someone or dispel us. I doubt we would be able to meet with the Count even at the appointed time.'

He had to stop talking when the two guards stepped closer, still looking suspicious as ever. Still, they did not take their swords out. Instead, one of them, the shorter one, stepped closer and started talking. 'Alright. Your reasoning makes sense, we'll call someone. But if you're a liar, you'll have a rough time, both of you.'

Buggy nodded. 'Naturally.'

With a glare, the shorter guard slipped inside the castle's courtyard, and the three remaining men stood there, waiting in silence. It was still too early for the streets to have any traffic.

A few minutes later, the guard reappeared, accompanied by a man with a black beard and long hair tied in a high ponytail. Buggy heaved out a sigh as he recognised him.

The man's eyes widened when he recognised the Duke as well, immediately bowing slightly as he greeted him. 'Duke Buggy.'

Buggy bowed as well, 'Aladine, you would have trouble imagining the relief seeing your face is providing me with right now.'