The Jester's Knights

Buggy's first public appearance ever since the assassination attempt, here it comes! Really excited to reach this part!!

_____________________________________________________________

All eyes were on him the minute he stepped foot inside. Looking around, he immediately spotted a few familiar faces, some he was glad to see, some he hoped he wouldn't have to address tonight.

Count Rasiphe detached himself from the crowd swiftly, coming to meet him. He had dark hair, similar dark eyes, and oozed tranquillity. 'Duke Buggy, it is such a pleasure to see you, you are aglow, and sport quite an exquisite outfit, as expected of you.' He said in a low voice, a small smile on his lips.

Buggy answered with similar compliments. Rasiphe was rather young for a Count, and looked nothing like the usual boisterous ones Buggy had met in summits. Instead, he was composed and talked calmly. He was also painfully honest, and never bothered to hide his true opinion on someone. Somehow, he and Buggy had ended up getting along during one of Rasiphe's visits in England in his younger years, both boys bonding over forbidden writings.

Though they had both changed since, and their paths rarely allowed them to meet, it was always a pleasure to come across each other when they had the chance. Rasiphe was one of Buggy's rare true allies, which was mostly the reason why Buggy had accepted the invitation.

Unlike what his character could indicate, Rasiphe loved parties. He loved to mingle and make new connections. He also loved to gossip, and, for this reason, was one of the most important informers in the Duchy.

Rasiphe grabbed Buggy by the arm and led him down the main stairs, heading for the closest group of people. Behind him, Buggy could hear the loud echo of his knight's footsteps.

The Count introduced Buggy to the small group of people, all of which bowed before him. Buggy urged them to straighten up, greeting them back. They exchanged banalities before Rasiphe steered Buggy towards another group.

This kept going until they'd gone all the way around the room, and Buggy had heard more names in an hour than he'd had ever since the beginning of the year. Rasiphe left Buggy with a little group before he walked to the stairs and grabbed a cup from one of the tables which had been set on the other side of the room.

He tapped the cup with a silver spoon to draw his guests' attention, speaking up. 'Alright, Gents and Dames, I think it is time to sit down for dinner, if you will!' And he jumped down the stairs, putting the utensils back and immediately stopping to talk with some guests.

Buggy politely took his leave from the group, walking towards the tables scattered across the second part of the room. He slowed down to look behind him for the first time ever since the beginning of the party. He'd been roped into endless small talk with Rasiphe and had not been able to talk with Crocodile and Mihawk since.

'How are you faring for the moment, soldiers?' Buggy asked in a low voice.

Crocodile shrugged while Mihawk answered, 'As long as we don't have to make small talk, everything's good. There's nothing to report.'

Buggy nodded in understanding, sighing. 'I can't wait for this to be over. I hope the food will be good.'

He sat down on a chair with a grunt, stretching his limbs discreetly. He was surprised when Crocodile and Mihawk sat down on either side of him. Buggy was about to protest about how they were probably not included in the Count's guests list, but was cut short by Crocodile.

'Hope you're enjoying your momentary respite, Duke, because it seems like it won't last long.' The older man clipped before looking away.

Indeed, Buggy could already see the other guests heading towards the tables as well, and there was no doubt that the Duke would not stay alone with his knights for long. Buggy also noted that Crocodile had seemingly decided not to call him Jester in public. It was surprising.