💛Not your burden💛

So, the sentence prompt "You are not your father" was requested on Tumblr multiple times, but I just couldn't write it. I don't know why, but that prompt didn't scratch my brain in the right way. I'm sorry that I couldn't do that specific prompt, but here is this one instead. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not entirely pleased with the ending, but I tried.

I laid in bed my arms lazily draped over James while my face was buried in the crook of his neck. He held me to him tightly, his warmth calming and reassuring me that it was all real. I was back in the human world, we'd survived the war, and we would be getting married soon.

I squeezed my arms around him instinctively. I didn't know if I'd ever see him again, let alone be in the safety of his arms. I was so scared, even just remembering the war and the angels made my anxiety spike.

James must have sensed it, because he moved to look me in the eyes, cradling my cheek with his hand. "Love, are you alright?"

I smiled weakly, his auburn eyes calming me. "Yeah, a lot happened over the last week."

He nodded, frowning a bit. "I know, and I'm so sorry."

I was frowning now. Did he really still blame himself? "James, it isn't your fault."

"If we hadn't come, you would never be in danger. Now, you are a target for angels, and if I wasn't selfish, I would have left after Malix was gone. It would have been best for you..."

I cut him off by lightly pressing my lips against his. I pulled away and spoke. "You don't get to decide what's good for me. You being here is good for me. I don't want to think about who I'd be had you left."

He sat up and looked at me. "I've put your life in danger many times now, and you still want me."

I furrowed my eyebrows, sitting up as well. "James, you shouldn't blame yourself. How many times have you saved my life?"

"From situations I put you in! My father-"

"Your father was a madman who was willing to kidnap me from an entirely different plane to get you back. You are a loving, kind man who went as far as to kill angels to keep me safe." I said matter of factly.

He slumped his shoulders in defeat, but I continued. "You are in no way responsible for your fathers' actions. Don't try to take on the burden of his crimes."

I moved so I was sitting in front of him, holding his face gently. His eyes were watering a bit as he moved his hand over mine, nuzzling into my palm. "I love you, James."

"And I love you." He murmured before capturing my lips in a deep kiss.

I smiled a bit against his lips, my emotions bursting in my chest. I don't know what I did to deserve such an incredible man, but as long as he continued to choose me, I knew I'd choose him.