Origins

Years ago, 14 year old Daria Asloff was kidnapped by Ottoman Turkish raiders from her home of Rus' and taken to the Ottoman Empire. She was selected by Ferhat-agha, a harem eunuch to dance for the Sultan one night. She did her job so successfully she was requested to come again and again for Sultan Ahmed's pleasure and she bore him 3 children, a sultana and 2 sehzade's. She was given the name Hande Osmanli Sultan, and she gained the title of Haseki Sultan.

During this time, her main servant Mariana Hatun, an Albanian girl also kidnapped on the same raid as Hande, began to grow jealous of her. Valide Handan Sultan also didn't like Hande because of the influence she wielded over Ahmed, and set out to get rid of Hande. Esma was a good candidate for starters, and she sent Mariana on a night with the Sultan.

Hande found out and was with the Sultan the night after that, but the damage had already been done. Mariana was pregnant [and they found out it was twins when she gave birth]. Hande already had 2 children, but this was competition enough. Next, Valide Handan Sultan sent an even worse rival for Hande- Livia Hatun, a seductive nightmare from Italy. Livia overall had an extremely large effect on him.

She was given the name Fatma Sultan and she bore 3 kids, rivaling Hande, while Esma only had two. Hande gave birth to another child, but the other Haseki's were already plotting against her. With Valide Handan's help, they got Hande exiled.

But not for long.