Chapter 11/Power Dynamics

✧✧✧

We were told it was too late, but we never gave up hope, and we never will. - Hande Sultan

✧✧✧

Hande and her son Bayezid sneaked into the palace, where Sehzade Yahya and Sultana Dilasub were already waiting. The Janissaries were already waiting in the courtyard, and as Sehzade Mehmet was standing by the throne, not sure what to do, Ali Agha and his men began ordering the halting of the ceremony as Hande and the palace Eunuchs ran to the rooms of the Sultan.

"Safiye Sultan!"

They were too late.

Safiye Sultan chose to poison herself rather than face the consequences. Hande was shocked as she saw Safiye lying unconscious on the bed. Hande motioned for the Kizlar Agha to get people to prepare her for a funeral.

༌༌༌

the next day...

Hande was putting on her earings, the ones she got from Sultan Ahmed, and her emerald ring, that of Safiye, Nurbanu, and the legendary Hürrem Sultan. Though their stories were different, Hande's was equally as memorable.

As Hande left her chambers, her son Bayezid was waiting. Hande smiled and stroked his head.

"Are you ready, son?" Bayezid nodded. They slowly proceeded to the Grand Balcony.

The Janissaries and other loyal men waited below. As Hande and the new Sultan appeared, the people erupted in cheers.

"Yaşasın [long live] Valide Sultan! Yaşasın Sultan Bayezid!" They chanted.

Though the throne was secure at last, the story wasn't over... - Dilara [Narrator]