Squad mostly assembled

Once they disembarked at Delta base, Commander Cruger led them to to through the rear entrance to avoid as many people as possible. The group made their way towards Doctor Manx's lab where the rest of B Squad was waiting, " Sir?" Syd began, "I didn't realise you had called this meeting."

Cruger snorted under his breath. Fortunately Sky, and Z was saved from further interrogation as the other members of B Squad spotted their visitor, "Jack", Bridge began, "this is an unexpected surprise".

"Yeah tell me about it", the former red ranger said to the current red ranger, "don't worry I'm not here to steal your job", he looked over towards the Supreme Commanders, "at least I don't think I am".

All attention turned towards Andros and Cruger, "No I'm not reassigning any roles within B Squad, although I do think you need some assistance". He twisted his head, looking directly at Kat, "Doctor Manx I believe the time is right to unveil Project Fire".

"Project Fire?" Kat asked sceptically, "but we've barely finished initial testing, only the basic sequences have been installed and we're still months away from having the others ready".

"Hold on did you say Fire?" Bridge interjected himself into the conversation, "as in the Fire Squad?"

Kat sighed and nodded slowly, "After Grumm and the A Squad prison break, Supreme Commander Andros felt it was need that we need some more back up for B squad". The feline opened a metal case that was sitting on the table next to her. Sitting inside was three morphers, one was a standard SPD delta morpher but black, silver with a red front.

"No zords unfortunately ", Cruger added, "any available budget is being diverted".

Jack stepped forward and inspected the SPD delta morpher, "So Boom is finally becoming a ranger?" There was silence in the room and it took a few extra seconds for Jack to realise the purpose for his summons to Delta Base, "Me?" he cried, "you can't be serious".

"Absolutely serious Jack", Andros began, "no one else available has the level of experience with SPD technology that you do". Andros reached into the box and gently removed the morpher, "C Squad are still too green to use the power that the Prime ranger wields and all other Rangers have long since retired and haven't got the conditioning needed".

"Jack's been retired for nearly a year Commander", Sky stated, "are you sure he's still in top shape", he added with a teasing tone.

"Hey I still keep myself in good shape", the former red ranger involuntarily flexed his arm to prove his point, "but I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig for a barely tested piece of kit".

Watching this exchange impassively, Z wondered if the Supreme Commander was making the correct decision. Jack might have experience but he had been out the game for a while. To bring him back in and have him use an unfamiliar morpher, that was potentially a recipe for disaster. The tense atmosphere was broken moments later when Boom burst through the door looking a little out of breath, "Sorry to interrupt but we've got a situation brewing", he wheezed.

Without missing a beat, the assembled party bundled out the room and scampered towards the central control room. Waiting for them were Ariel and Jackson who were observing a number of monitors. Curiously though there was nothing but static on the screens, "Report Officers", Cruger snapped at the pair.

"A Squad know about our surveillance", Ariel replied, "rewind the monitors back by five minutes Jackson". The blue Space Ranger did as instructed and swiped backwards on the screens. SPD has taken control of several key security cameras in the vicinity of the compound where A Squad were currently hiding out. Until their reappearance yesterday they hadn't been picked up on any recorded footage, leading B Squad to suspect they hadn't left the building. The ambush in the industrial district changed that theory and this was about to prove it, "Watch very carefully", Ariel added, "starting with the monitor on the far left".

The fire squad and the rest of B Squad leaned towards the indicated screen and waited patiently. Several seconds passed until the image suddenly cut out, displaying only static, "I didn't see anything", Sky grumbled, "was there some kind of technical failure?"

"Keep watching", Charlie pointed at the next monitor along as that too suddenly turned to static.

The gathered SPD rangers watched in amazed as one by one the screen blacked out in perfect sequence from left to right until only one remained, "They're systematically destroying the feed", Bridge pointed out.

"Thank you Officer Carson for pointing out the obvious", Cruger growled, "how is this even possible?" he directed his comment towards the Special Operations Officers, "these are ordinary traffic cameras, not one installed specially by SPD".

"You train your Officers well Commander", Andros commented, "unfortunately they are aware that Special Operations is now involved. A Squad worked closely with them on a number of occasions and they will be well aware of our standard tactics".

A feeling of dread washed over Z as she focused on the final screen which had yet to be taken out. She could see a shadow approaching the camera and something told her that she knew exactly who was going to appear. Sure enough her worst fears were confirmed when Charlie appeared on screen, the red ranger waved her hand revealing the A Sqaud morpher on her wrist. Moments later Charlie strutted away and the image cut out just like all the others.

Z felt the intense scrutiny of every person in the room, she didn't need to be telepathic to know what they were thinking, "Just say it", she mumbled, "whatever you want to say just say it".

"I'm sorry Officer Delgado but we have to ask", Ariel began, "have you had any contact with your lover in the last 24 hours".

"Nope, why would I ?" Z snorted sarcastically, "and something tells me you're not truly sorry".

"I beg your pardon", Ariel cried in shock.

"You've had it in for me from the very beginning", Z fired back, " just cause I fucked Charlie."

"Yeah and look how that turned out for you", Ariel countered. " you joined once before"

Fury pounded through Z's veins and for a brief second she wanted to slap the arrogance out of the Special Operations Officer. A firm hand on her arm immediately pulled her back from the edge, "Now you listen here", Jack began before realising that he didn't know who Ariel was, "whoever you are, just because you wear a fancy uniform doesn't give you the right to insult people"

"No but this badge give me the right to question a person of interest how I see fit", Ariel flashed her SPD licence in the former red ranger's direction.

"Ariel Hammond enough", Andros scolded his daughter, "I thought I raised you to show respect to others". The red Space Ranger retreated into herself, mumbling an apology, "Arguing amongst ourselves never works, I learned that from bitter experience, you and i both know that sir" Z looked at Andros, she noted the haunted look in Andros's eyes, like an old soldier remembering a long forgotten battle, "A Squad might know all of our tactics so maybe it's time to create something new." Once again he offered the SWAT morphed to Bridge and Spd Prime morphers to Jack, "To do that, we need a team as strong as possible".

This time Jack didn't hesitate, taking the morpher from Andros and strapping it tightly to his wrist, "As SWAT Red and Prime Rangers you are technically outside the ranking system employed by SPD", Cruger continued, "however Sky is your Commander and Squad leader ".

Jack looked at Bridge and Sky, "I will do Doggie", a stern cough from the Commander quickly followed, "Sorry Sir, that will take some getting used to", he added, "But I quite like my civilian life".

"Understood Jack", Andros nodded, "now you're all dismissed, I need to have a thorough debriefing with Officers Hammond and Collins". Z read between the lines, the two Special Ops officer were about to get a telling off from Andros the father and honorary uncle, not Supreme Commander Andros.

As B Squad meandered away Z hung back slightly, still a little freaked out but her dream earlier in the day. Despite everything , she still couldn't shake her feelings away. Was the dream a prophetic message of a battle to come?. Further down the corridor she heard Bridge announce a welcome back party for the returning Jack. Z smiled vaguely, the last thing she wanted to do right now was celebrate.

As they walked down the hallway, " Hey Z can you give Charlie a call I have a proposal " Sky whispered, " Sure thing " Z replied.

" Thanks Z " Sky said, " Now let's go party"