On the Avenger's Trail

Craig returned to his office and found a note on his desk from his editor, George Taylor. He walked over to the editor's office to see what his boss wanted.

The door to the office was open. He knocked on it and said, "You wanted to see me, chief?"

The editor looked up. "Yes. There seems to be a new vigilante in town, the Scarlet Avenger. I want you to find out more about him."

"That's not our usual approach. We've been publishing Cerulean's activities without blinking an eye."

"I know. Cerulean is different. This Avenger guy is just someone dressed up early for Halloween. And to be honest with you, Crent, we're losing circulation, probably to the Union American. They've been covering him for weeks. So we have to do the same."

"All right, chief. I'll get right on it."

Craig went back to his desk to see if there were any other messages. There weren't. Then he left the building and started working his sources, street people who saw what was going on in town. From these conversations, Craig learned little. His sources had seen the Avenger, mostly at night coming out of a large black Oldsmobile. And one source was sure, someone else was driving the car. Someone in a uniform.

Suddenly Craig remembered Linus Trent's car was a black Oldsmobile. Coincidence, he thought. Still it bore checking out.

That night high atop the Union American building stood the blue sentinel of the city, Cerulean. He saw the object of his interest, the black Oldsmobile parked across the street. It was nearly 6 o'clock when Linus Trent came out of the building and got into his car. His chauffeur got beyond the wheel and the vehicle sped off.

Cerulean leaped from his perch and landed on the street below before running after it.

#

The Oldsmobile was several blocks from the Union American when the driver, Wong, Trent's assistant, said, "Someone is following us ... and he's on foot."

Trent turned and looked out the back window. "Cerulean," said Trent. "There's no one else who could keep up." He paused for a heartbeat. "That's going to put a damper on tonight's agenda. Can't go out as the Scarlet Avenger if we are being followed. Better head home."

#

The car turned down Main Street and then up Market Street.

Cerulean followed the whole way and when he saw the car pull into a driveway a few doors down, he came to halt.

"Nothing unusual here," he said. He thought about listening at an open window, but dismissed it. Trent wasn't a thug or criminal. He was a respected newspaper publisher. Cerulean sighed and then jumped into the air and was gone.
#
The next day at the Union American, a notice appeared in the paper.

Reward! $5000 for information leading to the arrest of the Scarlet Avenger.

Mac Kensie, one of the reporters for the paper, gazed at large text spattered over the front page. Kensie was a young man with his hair slicked back. He wore a nice suit and tie. Slowly he began to smile as an idea came to him.

"I'm going to get me that money and I think I know how."

Later that day, Kensie ran into Linus Trent in the newsroom.

"Hey, Mr. Trent, I got tip. The police know who the Scarlet Avenger is."

"Very good," said Linus. "Get down there and get what you can for a story."

"Will do," said Kensie.

Trent checked his watch. "Better hurry. I have an interview with the new DA.

B. R. Gates greeted Trent as he walked into the District Attorney's office downtown. It was a well-appointed room with a large oaken desk, an oriental carpet, and several bookcases filled with books on the law.

The two men shook hands then Trent asked, "How is the internal investigation on the police going?"

"Fine, Mr. Trent. We think we've identified everyone leaking information to the Rumpson Gang. Can't tell you more than that since it is an active case."

"I understand," said Trent. "Any information on who the Scarlet Avenger is?"

"No, but Sgt. Haines from the fifth precinct should be here soon. He called and told me he has new information."

"Very good," Trent. "Then I'll get back to my office with this information."

But even as the newspaper publisher stood up to leave, Sgt. Haines walked in. He handed Gates a folder.

"The information on the Scarlet Avenger is all here," said Haines.

"Thank you, Sergeant. I'll look it tonight." He paused then introduced Trent to the police officer. "This is Mr. Trent, publisher of the Union American. They offered a reward for information on the Avenger."

Haines inclined his head towards the publisher. "By the way, have you found out how is leaking information?"

"Yes, I've got a list of names. Indictments will be coming tomorrow after I show my evidence to the grand jury."

"Good!" said the police officer.

Later that day in Trent's home, Linus said to Wong. "Have my costume ready". "The DA has information on me. We've got to get it back."

Meanwhile across town Sgt Haines, now out of uniform, entered a rundown house in a poor part of town. The green paint on the outside of the home was peeling and the holes in the plaster dotted the walls. The wood floor was all scuffed and worn and the entire place smelled of bug spray.

In the main room, members of the Rumpson Gang sat around a wooden table with chairs that wobbled because their legs were uneven.

As Haines entered, the gang members looked at him expectantly.

"The DA has the names of the police leaking information," the sergeant began. "We've got to get it back. He's keeping the evidence in his home safe. So I'll go over there and keep him busy while, you all break in and steal the information."

"Sound easy," said one man with a lit cigarette in his mouth.

"Be there in an hour," said Haines.

"Sure thing," said another man.

Haines smiled and left. The plan was in place.