Prison Break

In Carver City state penitentiary, one of the prisoners, John Bendix, crept along in the shadows waiting for a guard. Bendix has a mean face, narrow eyes and grimacing mouth. As one man patrolling the area walked closer the convict struck from behind, overpowering the guard and knocking him out.

Seconds later several more men join Bendix in the shadows. They disarm the fallen guards and move slowly along the outer stone wall until they see the object they are looking for.

"There's a car unattended," said Bendix. "Just like my tipster said there would be. We can use it to smash through the gate."

"It won't work," said another man.

"Sure it well," returned Bendix. "It one of them new riot cars; it's armored and loaded with weapons. Let's go!"

The convict gang rushed to the car and got inside, even at the escape siren sounded. Without a pause they started the car and smashed through the gates and prison guards began to file into the prison yard just in time to see the escaping men drive off.

Immediately word from the prison was sent out to local police. Road blocks were set up all along the major roads and radio announcements about the escape aired. The convicts, however, drove along the back roads to avoid the police.

"So what's the plan?" asked the prison named Curley.

"We're heading for the home of J. Thomas Gordon, the judge who sent us up the river."

And at the home of the Judge Gordon, a mysterious figure in red with a hood hiding his face crept upon the property. Shooting an arrow through an open window, Gordon, a white-haired man of average height and build, was startling until he realized what it meant. Instantly he got up, adjust his glasses and went to the window.

"Archer!" he cried as he saw the bowman clad in red approach.

"Judge Gordon," the Archer began, "Bendix has escaped from prison and threatened to make you pay at his trial. He's probably on his way here now."

"I"m not afraid."

"I'll do what I can to stop him."

"Thank you."

A short time later the armored car with Bendix and his gang arrived at the justice's home.

Getting out of the car, Bendix said, "Curley comes with me. You others stay with the car."

Going to the front door, Bendix banged on it. The door open and Gordon's daughter, Louise, appeared in the door way. She was attractive with long brown hair, and brown eyes. She wore a green dress with long sleeves and a high neckline.

"All right, sister," said Bendix. "We ain't come to hurt you. We have a little busy with Gordon. Where is he?"

She stared at the machine gun he carried and said, "Dad's not home."

Forcing his way into the house, Bendiz guffawed. "C'mon, don't give me that guff. Now, talk before I give you a dose of my gun."

"I thought you said you wouldn't hurt me," said Louise.

Hearing voices from the front hallway, Gordon emerged. "What's going on here?" he asked. Then he saw the convicts. "Bendix? Let go of her."

The convict smiled. "I ain't gonna hurt her." He motioned with his gun for Louise to stand by her father.

"Get out of my house before I call the police," said Gordon.

"You so much as move," replied Bendix, "and I'll plug her."

"What do you want?" asked the judge.

"You sent me away and I'm as good as dead now for breaking out. But before I go, I want my revenge." He pointed his machine gun at gun.

In the same instant, the Archer smashed through an window to confront the convicts.

"Curly," said Bendix. "Cover him. Say your prayers, Gordon."

Faster than anyone could react, the Archer loosed two arrow pinned Bendix's arm to the wall. Then leaping across the room he tackled Curly. A quick punch to the convict's jaw and the man collapsed.

Bendix seeing his fortunes reverse grabbed Louise and freed himself. "Stand aside," he said to the Archer. "I'm leaving and taking her as protection."

But the Archer, moving faster than the gunman can react closed on his and slugged with a one-two-punch. Bendix crumbled to the floor.

"All right," said the Archer. "You can call the police."

"Thank you," said Gordon.

The Archer said nothing. He just moved to the window and disappeared into the night.