Time Marches On

As the year wore on, summer gave way to autumn and on the radio that fall Martians were heard invading New Jersey. It was fake course. A Halloween treat by an upcoming talent in broadcasting, Orson Wells. In the days that followed much press was given to freedom of speech and what a terrible thing it was to fool people like that. Sentiment turned eventually when noted newspaper columnists noted that we should be happy that we have the freedom to air such a show. All across Europe freedoms were being crushed as Germany spread its tentacles into other countries.

At the Daily Record in Central City, Craig Crent laughed at the antics of what had happened and wrote an editorial supporting the right to free speech and the airing of programs like the Mercury Theatre which had adapted many well-known classics for radio such as Dracula, Treasure Island, and the Count of Monte Cristo. The issue wasn't that the science fiction novel, War of the Worlds, was adapted and aired; the issue was many people turned in late and missed the beginning of the program and the context for the show. So they had no idea what they were listening to. That wasn't really anyone's fault.

Across town, at the Union American, Linus Trent had published a similar piece. Within a few days it was forgotten as more news of war and strife came out of Europe. News of the Night of Broken Glass hit the newswire and Jews everywhere were concerned for their fellow men.

Crent read the encounters of what had happened, sketchy as they were. He thought about intervening as Cerulean but we would still have to across the Atlantic. Getting to London or Paris wouldn't be problem but getting inside Germany might be and could even cause an international incident. Besides how would he explain his presence there? His boss George Taylor wouldn't permit him to go, not without some arm-twisting. Perhaps if he and Dolores approached Taylor. No, Dolores wouldn't agree to that; she'd want that assignment all to herself.

Then he thought of Governor Peterson. Maybe he could help. He had already barged into the man's home once. Showing up at the State House where the man worked shouldn't be much worse.

The next day Craig went to the Capitol building to cover the activities of the legislature. When they adjourned for lunch, he dashed up outside to stand outside the governor's office, changing clothes as he went. No one was around, fortunately, but he moved so fast all anyone would've seen is a blur of motion, a streak of activity as he zipped passed.

Second later, dressed as Cerulean, he jumped up to the window outside the man's office and entered.

Governor Peterson was seated at his desk reviewing a proposal he planned to make soon. He heard a noise by the window and looked up to see Cerulean jump down from the windowsill.

"You!" said the governor standing. "You're a hard man to find."

"Have you been looking for me?"

"Yes, for months."

"Why?" asked Cerulean.

"Because we need you."

"We?"

"The state, the country, the President," explained Peterson.

"The President? Hmmm. This might work."

"What do you mean?"

"I came here because something must be done about the events in Europe. I want to help," declared the cyan sentinel.

"I understand but you can't invade a sovereign nation even one that's repugnant to us."

"Volunteers fought in Spain."

"True, but that was part of an international effort. Perhaps the League of Nations can intervene."

"Or the President can authorize humanitarian aid. I can travel with it."

"Perhaps," the older man conceded. "That's something you can discuss with him."

"Can you get me to see him?"

"Yes, I think so. Come back in a week. I should have an answer by then."

"Very good." And a moment later, Cerulean was at the window. He leaped into the air and was gone.

Governor Peterson picked up the telephone receiver. "Get me the White House."