Warehouse Dustup

In dingy warehouse on the seedy side of town, Frank Thorpe went over the ledger he kept on his gang's smuggling operations. They were doing well; so far they had smuggled out over one hundred and fifty crates of gun parts to the German war machine without be caught and there were more requests coming in. Italy wanted gun parts too. At this rate, he would need to find more men to expand his operation.

Suddenly he heard a noise in the warehouse. He looked up at the sound and drew out his gun from under his shabby olive coat. He moved slowly through the crates stored here looking for the source of the noise. Up ahead he saw a large figure shambling forward.

Three shots rang out and Thorpe fell over dead.

It did take long for word of Thorpe's murder to make the newspaper. Some of his men found him about an hour after he had been killed and one of them tipped off the Union American. After that it was on the newswire and the Daily Record picked up the story.

Linus Trent, the publisher of the Union American, met with his city beat reporter, Mac Kensie.

"News of the Thorpe's death has got the other gangs in town nervous," Kensie said. "They're afraid someone might come after them. According to my source, they are meeting tonight down by the waterfront."

"Good work, Mac. See what more you can find out."

The reporter left and Trent called home to speak with Wong, his assistant. "The Scarlet Avenger needs to pay a few people a visit tonight."

Meanwhile at the Daily Record, George Taylor, editor of the paper, called in Craig Crent to his office.

"Crent, what do you know about Thorpe's murder?"

"Not much chief," Craig began. "The police have no leads, but I got a tip that rival gangs are meeting tonight to discuss the situation down by the waterfront in that old abandoned warehouse."

"Get down there and find out what's going on."

"You bet chief."

Later that night, red caped form of the Scarlet Avenger crept into the abandoned warehouse along the waterfront attempting to listen to the gangster leaders. He was too far away at the moment, but he heard them talking. He crept closer.

As he moved the doors to the warehouse burst open, revealing Cerulean in the doorway.

The gangsters deep in the warehouse, heard the noise and scattered. The Scarlet Avenger turned to see the blue sentinel of the city march in.

"Blast! He's ruined everything," the Avenger spat.

"You!" cried Cerulean as he saw the red caped Avenger, drawing out his two guns. "You won't escape me again." He rushed forward.

The Scarlet Avenger shot gas from both guns but Cerulean was moving so fast, his momentum carried him through the noxious cloud of vapors and he plowed into the masked vigilante.

"You're coming with me," said Cerulean pinning the other man down.

"We're on the same side," said the Avenger unable to move.

"Prove it."

The Avenger paused. Only one thing occurred to him; it was a big risk, but he had no choice. "I'm Linus Trent, publisher of the Union American."

That took Cerulean by surprise. He stopped struggling with his caped captive and let him up.

"Why the pretense?" asked Cerulean.

The Scarlet Avenger stood up. "Because writing all the editorials in the world is no substitute to bringing criminals to justice."

Cerulean understood that. "Very well then perhaps we can work together."

"Perhaps. Someone killed Frank Thorpe. We need to find him."

"All right. I'll see what I can learn."

"Very good," said the Avenger. "And keep my secret to yourself."

"Of course," said Cerulean before he leaped across the warehouse and out into the night.

The Scarlet Avenger watched him go and hoped he hadn't made a big mistake.