Plane Crashes

A few days later, at the Union American, the picture of an airline pilot appeared on the front page, with the headline, "2nd Pilot Killed in Powers Airlines Crash this Week!"

Linus Trent, the publisher of the newspaper, was concerned by these events and called in Mac Kensie, one of the reporters for the paper, to assign the story to him. Kensie was a young man with his hair slicked back. He wore a nice suit and tie.

"Look into these plane crashes, will you, Mac?"

"Sure thing, boss."

But the following another Power airplane explodes suddenly while on a routine flight carrying cargo from the Central City to the Florida Keys.

News of the event convinces Trent it is time to act. He calls his assistant, Wong. "We ride tonight. Be ready."

Later that same day, Kensie speaks with Trent.

"According to my source at the bank, Powers is nearly bankrupt."

"Then how does he stay in business?" asked Trent.

Kensie shrugged. "I don't know but the insurance money from those accidents certain came at the perfect time."

"That's it. He's spend the insurance money. Thanks, Kensie."

That night, dressed at the Scarlet Avenger, Trent and Wong race to Powers's home in their sleek ebony Oldsmobile. Quietly the Avenger sneaks over to a window and listens.

"I want you on the next plane to South America," said Powers. "I have some important papers to send down there. Come by tomorrow to get them."

"Yes sir."

That seemed odd to the Avenger. Stealthily entered Powers's home through an open window, the Avenger found a bomb with a timing device on it.

"So that's it. He plants a time bomb onboard his planes and uses the insurance money to stay in business. And from the sound of things, that plane to South America is the next casualty. Well we'll see about that."

The following night, the Scarlet Avenger returned to Powers's home. He watched and waited for Powers to hand over a satchel of papers to the courier he had spoken with the previous evening. Once the messenger was gone, he broke into the businessman's home, guns drawn.

"Hope you packed a bag," said the Avenger. "You're going too."

Powers said nothing and tried to rush the intruder, but the Avenger released the gas from his guns and Powers collapsed.

About fifteen minutes later, the ebony Oldsmobile of the Scarlet Avenger came racing onto the airfield. It slowed and stopped just long enough for the body of Powers to fall out of the car and hit the ground. Then it sped off.

The courier Powers had sent, a man named Watkins, came running up. He recognized his employer. "It's Mr. Powers," Watkins stated. "He seems to be drunk. Better get him onboard the plane so we can make sure he recovers."

With the help of others from the plane, they got the unconscious man onboard and took off for South America. About half an hour into the flight, Powers woke up. "Where am I?"

The plane stewardess said, "You're on the South Amercian night flight. Can I get you something?"

Panic set into Powers. "The night flight!" He looked for the courier and saw him across the aisle, the satchel he had given him at his feet. Quickly Powers grabbed the satchel and tossed it out the plane window. Second later it exploded.

Everyone onboard was astounded. They had all nearly died. But how had Powers known? Unless ... he had placed the bomb in the satchel from the start. Of course, Watkins realized. It was Powers's property to begin with.

He looked at his employer. He was crying into his hands.

"I think," Watkins said to Powers, "we need to have a long talk."

Powers agreed and soon confessed to sabotaging the other planes. He was guilty of murder, insurance fraud, and destruction of property. He would be going to jail probably for the rest of his life.

But back at the Union American, Trent smiled. No more people would die because of H. A. Powers.