Police Informant

An hour later at DA Gates home, Sgt Haines knocked on the front door. Gates opened the door and was surprised to see the police sergeant.

"Haines, this is a surprise."

"I just stopped by to go over the dope I gave you on the Scarlet Avenger."

"Of course. Come in."

They entered the house and Gates opened his wall safe. "I have your papers in with the information on the leak in your precinct."

"Any idea who those men are?" asked Haines as Gates took out the papers on the Scarlet Avenger.

"They're officers who report to you from what I can tell." He handed Haines the papers he had given Gates earlier in the day and then closed and locked the safe. "Let's go into the other room where we can talk comfortably."

They stepped into Gates's library and sat down. "I'm sure the Scarlet Avenger would like to get his hands on this information to keep from becoming public."

"Well, that's irrelevant," said Gates. "If the information checks out I'll be giving it to the Union American for publication. Now let's see what you have."

Suddenly a large explosion was heard from outside the library. Haines and Gates rushed out into the other room and were stunned to see the safe wide open.

"Someone blew open the safe," said Haines. He scanned the room. "And there he goes!" 

He pointed to a mysterious figure climbing out of an open window. The police sergeant pulled out his gun and ran to the window while Gates examined his safe.

"It's the Scarlet Avenger!" cried Haines. He fired his gun twice.

"The safe has been cleaned out!" shouted Gates. "All the other papers are gone."

"I think I hit him," said Haines ran across the room. "I'll go after him."

The police sergeant quickly left the house and met up with the Rumpson gang. "Good work, boys. Now, let's get going." He climbed in the car with the other gang members and it sped off even as the Scarlet Avenger's Oldsmobile came speeding up.

"What's that car dashing away from the DA Gates's home? Looks suspicious. Better follow them."

The two vehicles drove wildly through the city streets. From the Oldsmobile, the Scarlet Avenger targeted the other car's tires. One tire blew causing it to crash into a lamppost ending the chase.
The Scarlet Avenger got out of his car and surveyed the wrecked vehicle. "Everyone is knocked out from the crash."

On the seat next to Haines he saw a stack of papers. "Here's the dope on me." He flipped through it. "Just as I thought, blank paper. It was just an excuse to get close to Gates. He looked at the information on the police investigation and saw Sergeant Haines's name.

Going back to Gates's home, the Scarlet Avenger turned the police sergeant over the DA.

"What's all this?" asked Gates as he saw the Scarlet Avenger with unconscious of Sgt. Haines. 

"You murdered Haines," declare the DA.

"No, he'll just out for a while. He's the informant you've been looking for."

"That's ridiculous."

"See for yourself," said the Scarlet Avenger. "He's a former criminal. And the information about me is nothing but blank paper. He was using it to get close to you."

"My God!" said Haines.

Satisfied that the matter was resolved the Avenger left going out an open window.

"That's far enough," said a voice in the dark.

The Scarlet Avenger turned and saw Cerulean.

"You're coming with me," said the man in blue.

"I don't think so," said the Avenger, firing his gas guns.

Cerulean jumped out of the away to avoid inhaling it.

Quickly the Scarlet Avenger got into his Oldsmobile and it sped off.

Cerulean tired to follow but he felt weak from the gas fumes.

"Must have inhaled a little of those noxious vapors." He narrowed his gaze and wondered what this vigilante had to hide. He didn't know but he'd be more careful in their next encounter.