sixteen.

- Ashton -

I suggest that Calum call in sick to work today, but he refused to. I even told him that I could just tell the manager what happened and that she would probably be okay with it, if anything would get pissed if he was here. But he still wanted to go to work. I knew he was going to be freaking out all day, so I didn't read as much as I normally did. I made sure to keep an eye on him.

So when he dropped a cup of coffee and started sobbing, I told a customer to hold on and ran to him. Luckily, there was another girl at the register that I got along with quite well, so she took over. 

"Calum, what's wrong?" I asked when I reached him, kneeling down beside him. His body shook with sobs. I put a hand on his shoulder, hoping he would calm down. People were staring at us, though I don't think that was really a problem right now. 

"I don't want to be here." He said, leaning his head on my chest. I ran a hand through his hair, placing a kiss on his head. I didn't think Luke would really care, since Calum was his best friend and a really good friend of mine.

"Cal, I can tell the manager that you're not feeling well. I'm sure she'll be okay with it." I said, rubbing his shoulder. He shook his head.

"I meant living." He said. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close to me. I didn't know what kind of relationship he had with his dad, but I assume they were much closer than my dad and I were. 

"I'm going to go call Luke to pick you up, okay? It's his day off and I'm sure you wouldn't intrude." I said, and he nodded. I went and told the manager first, and she had no problem with Calum leaving, just like I had assumed. Then I called Luke, hoping that his ringtone would wake him up if he was asleep. I drove Calum and me here myself, so I wouldn't have to worry about a ride home. 

I dialed Luke's number and kept an eye on Calum. I had taken my spot back at the register, and he had gotten up and sat in a booth, his head laid down in his arms. Luke picked up on the third ring.

"Hello?" He greeted. His voice was kind of raspy, telling me that he just woke up from the phone call, which didn't really surprise me since it was nine in the morning. I could picture how he was in this moment. He probably had an arm thrown over his eyes, blocking out the morning sun the was seeping through his curtains. He was most likely shirtless, since he liked to sleep like that. I remember because the first night we slept in the same bed, he put his arms around me and I traced the tattoos along his arms with my finger. This book store makes me feel way too poetic.

"Hey. Any chance you can come by here and pick up Calum? Today was too much for him." I said. I heard Luke sigh.

"Yeah, I can. Give me a bit to get ready, though. I was really hoping he could make it through the day." Luke said. I heard him toss his comforter aside.

"Alright. I'll make sure to keep an eye on him. Hopefully he didn't embarrass himself too much." I said, grabbing a bag to put this girl's books in. She didn't seem to bothered that I was on the phone, just drinking her Starbucks and on her phone as well. 

"Oh, God, what did he do?" Luke asked. I could tell he was stressed, and I was praying that his anxiety didn't start getting worked up.

"He dropped a cup of coffee and started crying." I answered. Luke groaned.

"Dammit, Calum. Poor guy. Alright, I'm about to leave." Luke said, and I laughed a bit, the girl handing me some money while I put her last book in the bag.

"Alright, Luke. I love you and I'll see you in a bit." I said into the phone, handing the girl her bag and a receipt, hanging up on the call with Luke. She gave me a smile and walked out of the store. She seemed nice. 

I kept an eye out on Calum. If someone would stare at him, I would glare at them until they noticed me and stopped. 

So when a girl approached Calum, I made my way over there, taking a seat close enough just to hear what they were saying.

She was very pretty. Her hair was curly, and her skin was kind of dark, so I was assuming she was mixed. She had on skinny jeans and a striped sweater that was a little big on her along with a pair of black high heels, making her appear taller than she was. 

"You're crying pretty hard." She said, and I desperately tried to remember what Calum's tattoo said. It had something to do with crying, right? I texted Luke and asked him what it said, hoping to find out that they were soulmates before they did.

"Yeah, well, no shit." Calum replied, his voice muffled by his arms. I kind of prayed they weren't soulmates now. I didn't want that poor girl to have that tattooed on her arm. It'd be kind of like Miles.

But when she gasped, and I got a text from Luke telling me what Calum's tattooed said, I knew that it was her.

~