1. Welcome to Thorpe Abbotts

The hum of the engine was the only sound in the C47 as it soared over the English countryside. The patients had finally settled, and the morphine finally took effect and brought them some sense of relief. Hope slumped back into her seat with a sigh, smiling over at Ruth who looked as exhausted as she was.

"You looked tired," Hope smiled at her friend, who released a long huff of air.

"It's been a long day. I can't wait to get back to base," Ruth pushed her short blonde hair out of her eyes, sighing again.

"Hey Frank, how much longer have we got," Hope called to one of the pilots.

"We've had to make a detour, doll. We're heading to Thorpe Abbotts airfield and will evacuate the wounded to Thorpe St. Andrews Hospital. It's not far now."

Hope felt her heart flutter, her throat drying as she slouched back against her seat.

"Hey Hope, what's wrong?" Ruth leaned forward, gripping the woman's hand and squeezing it, her large blue eyes watching her curiously.

"It's Hugh," Hope muttered, her eyes a little teary but a smile on her lips nonetheless. "My brother is stationed at Thorpe Abbotts with the 100th Bomb Group. I haven't seen him in so long."

Ruth's concerned frown turned into a smile, "So I'm finally going to meet this Hugh I've heard so much about."

Hope laughed, patting her friend on the back gently, "You will, but don't get any ideas."

The aircraft soared towards its destination, but the occasional jolting and shaking on the metal bird brought no fear to the flight nurses anymore. Once, the ratting metal coffin struck the fear of God into them, but now it was a peaceful ride.

Hope watched out the window as the lush, green countryside grew closer and closer.

"Hey, Frank! Stop hugging the hedgerows for crying out loud! Don't let the girl down before we've reached the field," Hope called, grimacing as the trees seemed to grow ever closer.

"Who's flying this bird, Armstrong? You or me?" Frank retorted, not looking away from the cockpit.

"Well, maybe you could use some lessons in keeping the old girl airborne then. We'll beat up the airfield at this rate."

Ruth laughed, watching Hope argue with the pilot once more, "You know Hope, maybe you should have gotten your wings. Then you could be flying us instead of Frank."

"You've got a good point there Ruth. Ya' hear that Frank? Ruth wants me flying instead of you."

Frank's reply was a muffled curse, and both girls broke into giggles in response. The plane tooled along for a while longer until it finally began to descend, rattling as it lost altitude, shaking its victims vigorously. The wheels touching down on the tarmac filled everyone with great relief.

"Well, that was one ropey landing Frank. Maybe I could give 'ya a few lessons?" Hope asked politely, batting her eyelashes at the pilot who just huffed.

"Shove off, Hope. Now get to it, your blood wagons are waiting."

Hope cringed at the nickname the ambulances had been given, they were lifesaving vehicles transporting sick men, why make it sound so ominous?

Hope hopped down from the plane, instructing the stretcher-bearers on which soldiers were in the worst condition. Between them, Hope and Ruth helped carry three wounded men to the ambulances when an obnoxiously loud voice called, "Well, I'll be damned!"

Hope spun round, her boots scuffing at the earth.

"HUGH!" Her brother laughed jovially, jogging over to them.