5. The Dangerous Sky

Monday, August 23, 1943: Thorpe Abbotts AAF Base, Norwich

Regensburg, Germany...the mission that earned the Hundredth its nickname was finally over.

Nine forts lost.

Ninety men gone...just like that.

Ninety boys who would not return to their families.

Among these ninety men was Curt. Buck and John were still in shock when their small group of officers tiredly pushed through the doors into their nissen hut. A few beds were made with fresh sheets, all remnants of their previous owners long gone.

The nightstands and walls that held the pictures Ruth had admired the week before were bare, a fresh slate for a fresh face that would be arriving soon.

As he walked by Biddick's bunk, Bucky couldn't bear to look at it. The wound was still too fresh.

"Knowing Biddick," he had told Buck in the Algerian desert," He's probably sipping on a bottle of schnapps right about now."

Oh, how he wished he was right.

"Looks like you've got mail, Bucky," Jack spoke up, pointing at the man's bed that had a few letters thrown on the mattress.

Dropping off his bag with a thud, John sat on the edge of his bed and collected the letters silently, immediately recognizing the neat cursive handwriting on the front.

He let out a gentle sigh and smiled to himself, the corners of his lips curling just slightly. Flipping through the letters, he discovered that all three of them were from Ruth.

August 17th, August 19th, and August 21st

John opened the first one, carefully unfolding the precious letter, and began to read.

John,

Hope and I were barely able to sleep last night. Our worry for you both ate away at us, keeping us awake until the early hours of the morning. Based on what we've heard from Frank, that is around the time you were probably waking up in preparation for the mission. I pray for you constantly, John. I pray that God will look out for you, that He'll protect you, and that He'll allow you to come back to me.

I also pray that Granny's necklace does its job. Keep it close. I like to think that it's a little piece of me with you.

I don't think I could imagine not seeing you again. My heart couldn't take it. I'm afraid I have become very attached to you and your mustache, Major, so I am pushing this thought as far from my mind as I can. It has been difficult.

As I sit writing this in the loud mess hall of our base, I can't help but think back on the dance. That first night we shared with the buzzing crowd surrounding us...the way you calmed my nerves without a word, made me smile, made me laugh. You are unlike anyone I've ever known, John Egan, and I worry that you may never be rid of me if you continue to treat me so.

I hold every second we've shared very near to my heart, and I can't wait to see your handsome face again. If by some miracle you are back to base by the time this letter arrives, send me a response as soon as possible. I need to know you're safe, Johnny.

I'll be waiting for you and your letter.

Yours,

Ruth Morgan

John could almost hear the nurse's voice in his head reading her words, and his chest filled with warmth as he traced her name lightly with his finger. If he was being honest with himself, he was taken aback by her sincerity. No woman had ever expressed feelings like these to him before.