11. The Wire

October 1, 1943: Sagan, Germany:

Two days.

Two days of squalor, of the constant smell of human excrement, of pure hell. They'd stopped a few times to pick up other prisoners, prolonging the journey deeper into Germany. When the train car door finally slid open, its occupants shielded their eyes as the bright morning light shone into the car. Frank, Hope, and Ruth remained in the corner, unable to stand when the harsh commands to do so echoed through the air.

"Up!"

The airmen did their best to follow the order, but their weakened bodies slowed their movements, angering the Germans who began roughly pulling them from the train. Once the dozens of legs surrounding them stepped toward the exit, Hope clambered to her feet, her legs shaking as she helped pull Ruth up. They shared an anxious glance while Frank grabbed their jacket sleeves and led the trio toward the door behind the other POWs.

"Stay close," he stressed, looking to each of them for confirmation. "We're not gonna get split up this time, alright?"

It took their eyes a few moments to adjust to the blinding light of the sun they hadn't seen in a few days as they jumped down from the train, mud squelching beneath their boots. Ruth's eyes scanned their surroundings, noticing the scraggly pine forest with a dirt path in the distance. She jumped in surprise when the car door behind her slammed shut.

The guard at the front of the group motioned toward the path with a yell. "Walk! Now!"

Ruth's eyes widened in panic as they started walking. "Do you think they're gonna kill us?"

"No," Hope replied quietly, offering her friend a forced smile. She honestly didn't know what the Krauts had planned for them but she wasn't about to give Ruth something more to worry about. "They wouldn't transport us this far just to kill us."

Though Ruth nodded in tentative agreement, Hope's own doubts lingered, a silent weight pressing down upon her. The uncertainty of their fate was almost unbearable, each step forward carrying them deeper into the unknown.

Where were they going?

How long would they be there?

Would they ever see their loved ones again?

They could feel the filth clinging to their bodies with each step down the path. The mud, sweat, blood, and disgusting muck from the train car coated their clothes. It was far worse than any conditions they had experienced as nurses. The women prayed for a shower or just somewhere they could clean themselves of the grime painting their skin. After almost two weeks, the pain in Ruth's arm dulled into a throb with every movement, and thankfully, Frank's ribs were much the same. Hope's bruises were beginning to fade and the deep gash above her eye had slowly closed.

The path through the forest stretched on for about a half-mile before they reached the edge of the treeline. As they emerged from the forest, the sight before them stole their breath away. A vast clearing spread before them, dominated by a sprawling complex of buildings, huts, and sheds. The entire area was encircled by a pair of menacing barbed-wire fences, their twisted coils glinting ominously in the sunlight. Along the perimeter, wooden guard towers loomed tall, manned by German soldiers armed to the teeth with rifles, machine guns, and searchlights.

Frank's jaw clenched as he took in the formidable sight, his mind racing with grim possibilities. "Looks like our new home," he remarked, his tone laced with bitterness. "Real cozy.

Hope's hand found Ruth's, squeezing it tightly as their group approached the large main gate. Hope opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by a loud siren and the gate creaking open. As they walked through the gates and beyond the perimeter of barbed wire, prisoners flocked to the sides of the walkway, scanning the new arrivals for any familiar faces. They wore frayed and mismatched uniforms, many of them hanging loosely on the men's slender frames. Some called out to friends they recognized, their excited laughter lifting the atmosphere just slightly. Others murmured in disbelief when they caught sight of the women, their expressions filled with shock and pity.