2. The Dance

Thursday, July 15th: AAF Grove, Berkshire

The pitter-patter of rain echoed on the tin roof of the building, and Ruth sighed to herself as she watched a few nurses dash through the torrential downpour to different areas of the base. The North Carolinian was in the infirmary when the first drops had fallen, signaling the typical British weather was quickly approaching. By the time she finished her tasks, the tapping of rain on the tin roof was the only sound filling the air. Ruth looked at her watch and groaned. She was supposed to meet Hope in their hut at 18:00 hours. It was 17:55.

She opened the door and stared out into the muddy pasture between her and the hut. With a deep breath, she took off, raising a hand to her forehead to prevent the rain from getting into her eyes. Ruth's feet splashed against the muddy English soil as she ran to her nissen hut, her blonde hair plastered to her forehead by the time she got there.

Ruth barged through the door into the relative warmth of the hut. Hope sat on her bed in the corner, reading a letter. She didn't see Ruth's sopping-wet figure until the blonde reached her footlocker at the end of her bed, which was beside hers, and began drying off.

"Who's the letter from?" she asked, pulling on a pair of dry pants, a sweater, and some socks. Her footlocker closed with a thud and she plopped down on her creaky mattress, drying the ends of her hair with a towel.

Hope didn't look up from the page but held up an unopened letter. "You got one, too. You should open it."

"Not right now," Ruth sighed. "Right now, I need a nap."

Glancing at her with a raised eyebrow, Hope grinned. "It's from a certain Major."

In an instant, the woman was on her feet, snatching the letter from her friend. "If you'll excuse me," she said calmly as she excused herself for a moment. The other nurse could see it took all of Ruth's effort to keep from exploding with happiness. She had been patiently waiting for Johnny's letter and was starting to wonder if he was going to send one at all. Chuckling at her antics, Hope returned her attention to her own letter.

A wide smile grew on Ruth's face as she began to read the letter.

Ruth,

I've spent the past hour trying to figure out the perfect letter to write you, but I've given up. I managed to follow your request of not getting shot down, and I hope you've done the same.

The past week has been filled with constant training sorties for us, and I have a feeling we are getting ready for something big in the next few months. When I'm up there, I wonder if you're up there, too. I picture you over Italy or France, calming your patients with your breathtaking smile that I have imagined many times since our meeting.

I would love to see that smile again next weekend at the officer's club dance here on base. Buck is inviting Hope and has taken care of arrangements for both of you to stay with the Red Cross girls if you're able. I might have to go AWOL and fly to Berkshire to see you if I do not get a response to this. I might just do it anyway.

Until next time, I'll try not to get shot down so I can get the response to this letter, and I hope you do the same.

Your Hotshot,

Johnny Egan

Her signature blush adorned her cheeks and she covered her mouth with her hand, excitement running through her. They were going to a dance! They hadn't been to a dance in years!! Busting out of the bathroom, she ran to Hope's bed, jumping up and down like an excitable child.

"We're going to a dance!!" Ruth cried, her face lighting up like a Christmas tree. Hope chuckled and watched on as the blonde's jumping slowly came to an end, the situation dawning on her. Ruth's voice dropped to a whisper and her eyes widened. "We're going to a dance."