9. The Anatomy of Courage

September 20th: 07:20 AM

The roar of ME-109s and flack bursts echoed inside the Angel, producing a deafening cacophony of machine-gun fire and metal tearing into the C-47.

"There goes the last engine. We're going down! We gotta bail out, girls. Grab your chutes now!" Frank yelled, the veins in the pilot's arms bulging as he fought to keep the plane level. Hope remained frozen, staring at Billy's lifeless body...he was only 21 years old.

"Hope?" Frank called out. "Hope, look at me! You've gotta go, get yourself and Ruth out, I'll keep the old girl steady until you're both out, then I'll be right behind ya."

Hope shook her head, tears building in her eyes, "No! We're in this together! I'm not leaving you, not now. Not after everything!"

"For Pete's sake, Hope! Will you do as you're told for once and stop being so damn stubborn!" Frank snapped with his eyes still trained ahead, and Hope noticed how the veins on his temples pulsed angrily, and his face grew redder by the second. "Now, please just go, I'll be behind you, I promise!"

"Okay," Hope nodded solemnly, climbing from the copilot's seat and hurrying towards Ruth, who was already shakily trying to put on her parachute. Hope helped her do up the straps and buckles before she did the same with Hope.

"I can't do this. I only jumped once in training. I-I can't jump out of a plane. I'm a teacher, not a paratrooper. I-I..." Ruth continued to ramble, her panic-stricken features breaking Hope's heart, and her tears began to trickle down her cheeks. Hope grasped hold of Ruth's shoulders, pulling her shaking frame against her chest.

"It's going to be okay. We're gonna be just fine, but we've got to do this. We can't stay here, Rue. I need you to be strong for me now, okay? I need you to be strong for both of us," Hope tried to encourage the girl towards the door but she froze, riveted to the plane.

"But Hope, we're over Germany. The-the Kraut's will get us and then... then I don't know what they'll do to us." Ruth's bottom lip began to tremble, her breath coming out in short, sharp gasps.

Hope nodded solemnly, "I know we are, Rue, but this is our only option. I promise you that I will be with you every step of the way, no matter what, okay?" Hope squeezed Ruth's hand and she returned the sentiment, allowing Hope to lead her towards the door.

Both girls hooked up to the static line, checking their equipment quickly. "Are you ready?"

Ruth nodded, swallowing the bile that threatened to creep up her throat as the plane shook violently beneath them.

"See you on the other side, Rue."

"See you in a minute," Ruth threw her arms around her friend, squeezing her tightly before stepping into the door, pausing for a moment before throwing herself out into the clouds.

As she fell through the air, her heart pounded against her chest with a ferocity that matched the roar of the wind rushing past her ears. Ruth's static line unhooked, and just as her chute billowed into the sky, the roaring of a fighter and the sound of machine-gun fire filled her senses. She gasped as the rounds went directly around her, missing her body by just a few feet. Her chute, however, wasn't as lucky. The white silk was littered with holes, and her descent accelerated rapidly, bringing her plummeting toward a nearby group of trees.

Ruth frantically tried to steer away from the forest, but the damaged chute was unresponsive. "No, no, no," she cried, bracing for impact.

The treeline rushed up to meet her, and with a jolt, Ruth crashed into the dense canopy of trees, her chute becoming entangled in the branches. The impact sent a shockwave of pain through her body, and she cried out as she tumbled through the branches, her arms flailing desperately to break her fall. Twigs snapped, leaves rustled, and she felt the sharp sting of cuts and scrapes as she collided with the unforgiving branches.