The Bonds of Sisterhood

"Sit like a lady, Maia!" Narcissa scolded her daughter-in-law as she wandered into the library, she gracefully sat down on one of the sofas crossing her ankles and laying her hands in her lap demurely.

"Cissa, the tutors have retired for the night and I'm all alone until tomorrow." Maia smiled brightly, not bothering to move from her comfortable space by the fire. Her blue silk dress was bunched up around her knees as her legs were tucked beneath her while she lazily leaned on the armrest to read. The other witch always harped on propriety and the need to be seen as a lady. It didn't make any sense to her since only family and tutors ever saw her.

"Well, it never hurts to always present yourself for company." Narcissa sniffed delicately, watching Mipsy levitate a tea tray over to her side. A small smile bloomed on her face as Maia closed her book to turn towards her mother-in-law.

"Thank you for coming, it's so boring. I wish I could just come home to Britain." Maia sighed sadly. The solitude made weeks felt like years and she didn't even know what her home really looked like. Intrusive thoughts had started to invade her days and nights, wondering if she was truly the only wife her husband had.

"Soon, little dove. Our Lord says the resistance has been terribly disorganized since Dumbledore's death. I'm sure once you're caught up on your studies you can come home to the manor and you can assist me in organizing some events." Narcissa said soothingly as she drained her cup. The older witch even reached across the table to pay her hand consolingly, happy for an excuse to leave the manor.

"You kn-" Maia started but the library doors were thrown open to reveal Draco, supporting his Aunt Bellatrix who was bleeding heavily from her abdomen and thigh. Maia and Narcissa leapt from their chairs to assist the blonde man in laying the unconscious witch down.

"Mipsy! Get the potions!" Maia shouted out as she ripped open Bellatrix's corset to get a better view of the wound. Narcissa was by her side, doing the same with the jagged gash on her upper thigh.

"Who did this?" Narcissa hissed in a low voice as she waved her wand in a familiar complex pattern and the wounds slowly started to close. While Maia only completed the first year syllabus, her tutors ensured she knew plenty of healing charms, just in case.

"Claudum Tergeum." Maia chanted softly, studying the way the skin slowly knit itself together before her eyes. The familiar pride swelled in her chest but she ignored it while leaning forward to continue chanting. "Claudum Tergeum. Dolorum."

"Finnegan got her chest with a cutter and an older man got away after he nearly cut off her leg." Draco said bluntly, taking the time to study each of the vials before tipping them into his Aunt's mouth. His mother cast the spells to force her sister to swallow before he could even ask.

"Did you get Finnegan?" Maia asked quietly, using a cloth soaked in calming draught to sooth the other witch's brow. Her spell had cleaned the blood from her skin but not her ruined robes and the smell of dark magic was distinct. With enough hate, her very skin radiated the sweet, rotten smell of turned meat.

"Yes, he's dead." Draco said bluntly as he pulled off his cloak and sat back on his heels with a sigh. He looked exhausted, specks of blood on his cheeks and deep bags under his eyes.

"Mipsy, fix a room for Bella and get me a dreamless sleep draught, please." Maia asked quietly after she applied another layer of calming draft. Her eyes turned to her husband, studying him critically for any injuries.

"I'm fine, love." Draco said impatiently, bringing her hands to his mouth to kiss her bloody fingers reverantly. Mipsy put a hand on Bellatrix's shoulder and popped her silently away to place her in a guest room.