Chapter 7: Danger

It is better to meet danger than to wait for it. He that is on a lee shore, and foresees a hurricane, stands out to sea and encounters a storm to avoid a shipwreck - Charles Caleb Colton

"Holy shit. South?"

I- I couldn't speak. I was the main target. But what have I done? And always tell the truth? I'm not a liar. I barely ever talk. Adam was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. But how did this person know we would end up in detention? They clearly have been keeping a close eye on us, and they had time to tamper with the lightbulb, get out of the classroom, had time to plan a way to get us in that room, and walk out like nothing happened. I've never felt more in danger until now. I heard Jake's voice but my mind was spinning in circles. Adam was victim number 2, so now the burning question: who's next?

"South, don't worry. He- he didn't kill you."

"But he could've. He wanted to. I was their next victim. Adam...he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Jake? What did I do wrong?"

"Nothing! You did nothing wrong."

"Then...why was I targeted?"

"I...I'm not sure."

I saw a single tear roll down South's cheek. I don't get it. How could someone target her? Why would anyone want to hurt her? With each question I asked, the more I felt useless. So many questions, and none of them could be answered.

"South? I promise you, I won't let anyone hurt you."

I had South lay down and I wrapped my arms around her. She was shaking and breathing fast. I began to lightly stroke her hair. I planted a kiss on her hair and held her until I knew for sure that she was asleep.

"You're mine. You'll always be mine."

I felt his hands on me. I was crying, begging him to stop. But all I heard was his sinister laugh.

"Please...stop."

I heard him grab his beer bottle, smash it to bits, and heard him snicker. He pinned me to the wall and I felt the glass go in from under my rib. I felt my blood quickly start to drip down my leg. He continued stabbing me, not caring that he was killing me.

"Please! Stop! I'll be better! Just please stop!"

When he finally stopped, he just stared down at me.

"If you tell anyone about this, I'll kill you for real."

I opened my eyes and saw my reflection in Jake's mirror. I took a deep breath and slowly lifted up my shirt only to see faded scar lines. I slowly traced a finger on one of the lines. It was wavy and felt plushie. There was a reason why I wanted to stop. It wasn't because I was worried we wouldn't be able to stop, it was because I'm insecure about my body. I've been hit and punched before multiple times. I knew that if Jake saw my stomach, he'd think I'm disgusting. I normally wouldn't care, but Jake and I are...something. And if he ever saw my scars, I'd become an anxious mess.

"South?"

I quickly pulled my shirt down when I heard Jake's voice. He doesn't need to see this. He can't see this. He can't see how broken I am. I paint myself as this smart and stronger fighter. I'm smart enough to not even study and stronger enough to get back up from every abuse and every mean word from my classmates and father. Jake...he just can't see the real me.

"Are you ready?"

It was the first day back since the newest confession. I didn't know what to expect when I walk through those school doors. Adam died because he wasn't supposed to be in that room, and I was actually the main target. God knows what would've happened if Jake didn't save me. But it was all for nothing, because someone still died.