Chapter 10: We All Have Secrets

Don't ever feel that you have to hide who you are. Nothing good ever comes from keeping secrets like that - Lisa See

The secrets that I keep are for me only. My dad did not care for them, but Jake would. If he knew what I did, he would look at me differently. I just know it. Which is why I can't tell him that secret. Things...things happen. We don't control what happens, we only get to control how we deal with them. My scars, for example. I couldn't control what he did to me, I only got to control how I move on. And I chose to not tell anyone and suffer through the nightmares. Do I wish I told someone? Sometimes, then maybe he wouldn't have gotten away with it. I left the bathroom and saw Jake sitting on his bed, reading my notebook!

"What the hell!? Why are you reading that!?"

"South, you-you write songs?"

I snatched the book back from him.

"I didn't know you wrote songs. Why didn't you tell me?"

"It's my little secret. You can't tell anyone. Not even my dad knows about this."

"I won't, but...when did you start writing songs?"

"I was 10 when I started. Something happened when I was 9, and I really wanted to forget about it. I was sitting in the car one day when my dad had the radio on. The song caught my attention. I listened to it until the very last second. Music then became my escape. I loved listening to music so much that I saved up for the earbuds that I wear today. And those songs, they're actually songs that already exist. I write them in hopes that I'll be able to write a song."

"This song, Marry Me? Who did that song?"

"Olly Murs. I like his song "Let Me Just Say"."

"I think you should do it."

"Do what?"

"Write a song. I'll even help you."

"No! I don't know the first thing about writing a song."

"We'll figure it out."

"No. No. That notebook is my secret. Tell anyone about this and I'll hit you so you'll be crappy teeth for a week."

"Why does that turn me on?"

"Jake Denvers!"

"Sorry!"

"Let's just get to school."

It was Tuesday and we'd be having an assembly about Sasha, Adam, and Amy. As Jake and I sat down, I felt Heather's eyes glaring into my soul. I didn't care, though. This was their day. This was their day that everyone who knew them, would have good memories about them. Except me. I didn't have good memories about them. Sasha was a bully to me, Adam tried to sexually assault me, and Amy was a competitive person. What good memories would those people bring me?

"Today, we are remembering the lives of Sasha Greene, Adam Diaz, and Amy Templynn. 3 students who had their lives taken away from them too soon. We are offering counseling to students who would like to find someone to talk to. This is a tragedy, and to ensure everyone's safety, after school clubs and extracurricular activities are suspended until further notice. Thank you."

Everyone had tears in their eyes. Everyone remembered them as good people, but I remembered them as people who wouldn't leave me alone. But I still think they didn't deserve to die. I can only think what their parents feel. Losing a child is something no parent should have to go through. Everyone started to leave and I saw Scott a few rows down. There was just something about that kid that just felt...off. And I couldn't shake the feeling that I knew him from somewhere. As we were getting back to our classes, I saw Detective Fields talking to Principal Logan. Principal Logan pointed to me and I saw Fields coming towards me.

"Hey, South."

"Uh, hi."

"I have a question for you."

"Ok?"

"What was the relationship between the 3 victims?"

"Relationship?"

"How are you connected To Sasha, Adam, and Amy?"

"Sasha bullied me, Adam attacked me, and Amy was competitive with me. But that was it, we didn't really know each other."

"We have reasons to believe that you may be involved in these murders."

Involved? How could I be involved? I know nothing!

"How could I be involved?"

"All the victims knew you. Sasha was bullying you, Adam sexually assaulted you, and Amy was so busy trying to beat you that she resulted in cheating."

"But that's not my fault. I was just the silent loser of Valley High, I couldn't care about Sasha, Adam, and Amy."

"Did you hate them?"

"Excuse me?"

"Did you hate them? Did you hate them enough to want them dead?"

Did I hate them? I don't know. Sure, I disliked them. But I didn't want them dead. We're 18, we don't deserve this.

"Listen here, Detective. Unless you have a lead that says I did this, leave me the hell alone!"

I stormed out of the school, completely ignoring Jake.

"South, wait!"

Back at the school, Detective Fields and his partner, Detective Hollows, were watching South and Jake leave.

"So? What do you think?" Detective Hollows asked.

"She didn't do it. But she is keeping a secret."

"How can you tell?"

"Did you see her reaction when I asked her if she hated the victims? Normally the suspect would remain silent and then simply say 'no', but she looked like she didn't even know if she hated them. And she didn't lawyer up."

"Ok, so if she didn't kill them, then what's her secret?"

"I don't know, but I'm about to find out."