Chapter 1 - Purged

The Littlest Warrior
Chapter 1
Purged

The planet Pyre. That was their destination. It was one of the furthest planets on the outer rim, so primitive it was undeveloped, most of the inhabitants were creatures low enough on the evolutionary chain to not pose a threat to anyone, but that didn't matter to the Empire. Fulcrum had given Hera and her team of rebels intel that they were sending troops there to investigate and gather supplies, anything that was unguarded was property of the Empire as far as they were concerned, with no other human or superior race calling it home meant that they could call dibs. The Ghost knew being in the middle of nowhere was without threat and would be a great chance for an attack on any Empire ship, protecting a vulnerable planet and having their helping of any supplies on board the ship, new property for the rebels and a win under their belt. The Ghost finally jumped from hyper space at the coordinates provided, however what appeared before them was not what they were hoping to find...

"We're in the right place, right?" Kanan looked out the cabin window.

Hera glanced at the readings on the display panel before her, "Yes, this should be the planet Pyre." She followed Kanan's gaze and they both shared a glance of dismay.

They were too late. The poor planet Pyre had fallen victim to the powerful fist of the Empire, like so many before it, and unfortunately, so many more to come. The planet looked dull, what should be green and lush with patches of blue water, were covered in clouds of smoke, the land dark and baren and burned. The rest of the Ghost crew made it up to the helm and looked out with their leader, sharing the same feelings of shock and chagrin.

"Ugh. Karabast...." Zeb let out a sigh and shook his head.

Sabine looked at Ezra, their eyes sharing the same sorrow, "Were we too late?"

Hera shook her head, "We should've been here before the Empire. We had intel from Fulcrum providing their time and day of arrival."

"They must've changed plans." Kanan spoke up. "Fulcrum must not have had enough time to alert us, they may have not even known."

A growl formed in Ezra's throat as he looked down at the decimation, "How could they do something so shameful...."

Sabine shot him a sympathetic glance, "How could they not? They're the Empire..."

"Come on." Hera began to push buttons. "This has now become a scouting and possible rescue mission, we need to search for the chance of any survivors. Kanan, Ezra, take Chopper and the Phoenix. Sabine I want you to run scans up here with me, Zeb stay on alert, who knows if the Empire is still out in this system somewhere." Everyone nodded and headed to their orders.

Ezra and Kanan and Chopper went down to the surface, breaking thru the clouds of smoke and ash from the smoldering debris, "Masks on. We have no idea how toxic the air may be, if we weren't sure if it was breathable before, it may be even less so now." He handed Ezra a respirator as he put on one of his own. "Get ready Chopp." Chopper whirred in acknowledgement. The ship landed and the trio set out. "Stay close Ezra, we don't know who or what is out there."

Ezra looked around at the destruction. "You really think anybody stayed behind?"

"Never know what the Empire is thinking." Kanan turned back to the ship. "Chopper, start scanning, see what you can pick up and let us know." Chopper whirred and raised his antenna.

Ezra was walking around, looking at the remains of the poor planet Pyre. "Looks like they uprooted the entire surface."

"No doubt trying to salvage anything of benefit, who knows what minerals, iron and ore they could mine here that would prove useful. By depleting the soil it also prevents any regrowth."