Chapter 8 - Recovery

The Littlest Warrior
Chapter 8
Recovery

The Ghost crew finally made it back to their ship, their mission unfortunately had been unsuccessful to raid the Empire's health center. Zeb had tried to cause a distraction which ended up in a battle, Hera had tried to cause another diversion but it did not go as planned. Sabine managed to sneak in but ended up getting caught, resulting in Kanan having to come to her rescue. They had failed to steal any medications for Ezra, and now that everyone there had seen them, it's not like they could go back and take him in person to get examined and treated.

"Well that was a bust." Zeb grumbled.

"Sorry guys, I didn't expect that to go south so quickly." Hera sighed and turned to Sabine.

"It was not a properly planned out mission, that's all. We rushed thru it and we lost."

"What's our next idea then?" Kanan asked.

"Well." Hera began to type on the holo pad sitting on the table. "There's another planet nearby with a medical facility. You might have to sneak Ezra in to get seen, after that stunt they may increase security. I think we've run out of any other options now."

"Yeah, guess you're right." Kanan turned to go.

"Who's gonna break the news to the kid?" Zeb scoffed. "You know he won't take it well."

"I can handle it." Kanan glanced back over his shoulder as he headed down the hall towards Ezra's room. He was not looking forward to this conversation. He reached the door and spoke up, "Ezra, hey. You awake? Can I come in?" When there was no reply Kanan went inside. Ezra was sound asleep. "Sorry kid, you're really not gonna like your next mission." He sat down, listening to Ezra's breathing. It actually did sound less congested, that was a good sign. He felt his forehead, still on fire. He definitely needed a doctor to examine and diagnose him. "You won't go on this mission alone tho, I'll be there right beside you. Mainly to prevent you from running away."

The Ghost traveled all night and into the morning until they reached their destination. Ezra had slept the whole time. Kanan kept checking up on him. His condition had not changed but at least he felt no more unrest or turmoil in Ezra's thoughts and dreams. The Ghost went down to land, it was time to start mission medicine. After the ship docked on the outskirts of town, Hera went into Ezra's room to wake him up. "Hey Ezra, wake up. We're here. It's time to go."

"Erm. Where? What?" Ezra stirred, blinking the sleep away. His body felt heavy, he was absolutely worn down, he was so tired he could hardly hold his eyes open. He broke into a painful sounding coughing fit and Hera patted and rubbed him on his back.

"Come on. We managed to find a medical center far enough away that it has minimal Empire presence. We'll be able to get you medicine and treatment finally."

"Wait..." Ezra was finally waking up enough to comprehend Hera's words. "You're taking me to a hospital? I have to see a doctor?"

"Sorry kid." Kanan walked in. "Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, even when you don't wanna do it."

"Ugh...." Ezra's shoulders fell in defeat. But after his secret mission, his body had no strength to even protest anymore. "Guess I don't have much choice do I." He whispered sadly.

"Nope. Sorry." Hera shrugged sympathetically.

"Come on, let's go." Kanan reached out and helped Ezra sit up. He could tell how weak Ezra was, his eyes were glazed over with fatigue and fever. He didn't want to risk Ezra falling so he picked him up and lowered him to the floor. Ezra wobbled dizzily before sliding down against a wall. "Here, maybe I should carry you." He bent down and picked Ezra up, realizing how thin and light he felt after battling the illness and being unable to eat for so long.