30. The groom

Mahira

It was 7 in the morning as I groggily sat up on my bed. Today was the day I was supposed to meet my soon-to-be husband.

I anticipated that my mother would burst into my room at any moment, and right on cue, she did exactly that.

"Mahira? Oh tu already utt gayi!? (Mahira? Oh, you're already awake!?) she exclaimed, clearly surprised. I simply nodded in response, avoiding eye contact.

"Dekh Mahira, mai samajh sakti hu lekin itnah achha rishta hume aur nhi mil sakta (Listen Mahira, I can understand you, but we won't be able to find a much better proposal ever again)" she said as she approached my bed.

"Agastya Rathore naam hai usko (He's Agastya Rathore)" she continued, seating herself on the edge of my bed.

I played with my fingers, avoiding looking at her. "Ladka achha hai Mahira (He's a good match, Mahira)" she insisted, placing a comforting hand on top of mine.

She gave my hand a light squeeze as she stood up. "Breakfast ready hai, tayaar hoke aajo niche. Aur ha achhe se tayaar hona. They will be here by 10 (Breakfast is ready. Get yourself ready and come downstairs. And make sure to look presentable. They will be here by 10)" she instructed before leaving the room.

I groaned, closing my eyes briefly. Agastya Rathore. His name echoed in my mind. Running a hand through my hair, I pushed the duvet away and reluctantly got out of bed.

I made my way towards the closet and the anklets jingled, bringing back memories of my past, memories I wished I could forget.

I shook my head. "He's not here Mahira. He won't get to you ever again" I muttered to myself, trying to reassure my trembling heart.

I sifted through my closet, my fingers grazing over the fabric until they settled on a cream-colored saree. Here, wearing a saree for significant events was customary. With a sigh, I retrieved matching jhumka earrings and a set of bangles to complete the look.

I approached the bathroom cabinet and retrieved my favorite jasmine-scented body wash. Stepping into the bathroom, I prepared to start my morning routine.

*****

After spending about an hour in the bathroom, which included a brief crying session, I stood in front of the mirror adjusting my saree.

I adorned myself with jhumkas and bangles, applying a touch of kajal to my eyes and a nude lipstick to my lips. I opted for a simple loose braid for my hair and then made my way downstairs.

As the clock struck 9, my heart quickened its pace. Meeting the person I was supposed to spend my life with filled me with both excitement and dread, especially after the haunting nightmare that still lingered in my mind.

The nightmare where Khalid sat beside me while the groom lay lifeless in front of us was utterly horrific.

I made my way to the dining table and took my seat. Soon after, my mother joined me and served breakfast. "You look absolutely stunning, Mahi" she cooed. I simply offered her a small smile and looked away.

My appetite was long gone and I just played with my food. I was about to stand up when my dad entered the dinning area hastily. "Woh log 10 min Mai poch rahe hai (They'll be here in 10 minutes)" he said, taking short breaths.