41.

Mahira

As the pandit started reciting the mantras, I could sense the fear in his voice, realizing that he too was scared for his life.

I struggled against Khalid's firm grip on my waist, knowing it would likely leave a mark.

But all I could think about now were my friends and my family.

"Please, rukhiye Khalid (Please, Khalid, stop)" I whispered faintly, placing my hand atop his to try and loosen his grip on my waist.

I turned to my left and witnessed my family being forcefully brought over by his men to where we were.

I shut my eyes, unable to witness the heartbreaking scene unfolding before me. I had made a terrible mistake, destroying not only my life but also the lives of everyone around me.

"Saza deni hai toh hume dijiye, unhe nhi (If punishment is necessary, then punish me, not them)" I pleaded again, hoping to make Khalid understand.

But his eyes were fixed intensely on the pandit, and I felt utterly helpless, unable to intervene or take any action.

I gazed at the sacred fire and then back at my family, realizing I had to do something.

Veer had already lost consciousness, and I feared Khalid would ensure he never woke up again.

As the pandit's voice grew louder, my mind went blank. A chill ran through my body, and my tears continued to flow unabated.

What did I even do to deserve this?

"Please rise for the varmala" I heard the pandit say, snapping me out of my daze.

Wait, what? Varmala? No, this can't be happening. Absolutely not.

I glanced at my friends, only to see horror etched on their faces. My breath caught in my throat, realizing what was about to unfold next.

I sensed the space beside me shift as Khalid rose for the varmala ceremony. Before I could protest, I felt a harsh grip on my arm, and I was forcefully yanked to my feet by Khalid.

"Ah!" a cry escaped my mouth as I felt the harsh tug, but Khalid paid no attention to it, his gaze fixed ahead on someone.

And that's when I saw Arman approaching us with the varmalas. Arman was my last hope.

"Arman!" I yelled out, but to my surprise, he didn't even glance in my direction.

"Arman, please!" I pleaded, trying to catch Arman's attention, but my efforts were in vain.

Khalid turned to face me, his eyes devoid of any emotion, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Mahira, tum varmala abhi dalogi ya (Mahira, will you exchange the varmala now)" he spoke, pausing briefly, "tumhare mang ko tumhare pariwar ke khoon se bharne ke baad? ("or after filling your forehead with the blood of your family?)" He said with his commanding voice.

My throat went dry as his words echoed in my mind. I took a step back in fear, but he closed the distance between us.

"Bolo Jaan (Speak, my love)" he said, stopping just inches away from me.

I knew he was waiting for any misstep from me. As I glanced away, breaking our intense eye contact, he moved closer, his touch deliberate and commanding. With a gentle yet firm motion, he lifted my chin with his index finger, his touch sending a shiver down my spine.

"Humare taraf dekho, Mahira (Look at me, Mahira)" his deep voice resonated, causing me to gulp nervously.

As our eyes locked, he closed the distance between us, his touch lingering as he brushed away my tears with a tender caress.