42.

Mahira

My swollen eyes remained fixed on the flickering flames of the holy fire before me, each moment searing away what little strength I had left.

The irreversible damage had been done, I was now bound to the very monster from my nightmares.

I turned my gaze toward my family, only to find tears streaming down their faces as they looked at me with sorrowful eyes.

My heart ached for them, ached to see them in that state, clearly because of me, because of my mistake.

I closed my eyes briefly, clenched my fists, and then turned to face Khalid.

The man who ruined my life was sitting right infront of me. My husband.

"Apko joh chahiye tha woh apko mil gaya, abh unhe jaane dijiye, please (You got what you wanted, now let them go, please)" i muttered, my voice cracking as the extinguished fire inside me, started burning again.

Khalid's eyes held a soft glint, yet they were as cold and brutal as the night itself. In the end, he remained a ruthless and unyielding figure.

I fixed my gaze on him, waiting for a response that never came.

"Kuch boliye" i spoke again, trying to receive an answer from him.

Only for him to take me by surprise, by getting hold of my wrist. His hand rough yet his touch delicate but the harm was already done.

The blood from earlier had dried away, but the pain still noticable.

I quickly glanced at my wrist and then back at him. And before I could make out what he was about to do, the place beside me shifted.

Khalid stood up from his seat, making me stand up along with him as well, as he had held my wrist.

I couldn't understand what he was trying to do. I tried freeing my wrist from his hold but only to fail miserably.

I knew the man infront of me wasn't some ordinary guy but instead a ruthless man who was not afraid to do anything that crossed his mind.

The promises, I had made to myself about being free, about being away from his hold, about never marrying him, came crashing down.

He was my husband now. Even though I accept it or not, but for the world I'm married to him, rightfully married to him.

I was brought back to the reality when I felt him, loosen his grip on my wrist and let it go.

But my happiness was short lived when I felt someone's arm around my waist. It was Khalid.

I was busy looking at my family when I felt my feet slip off the ground, and before I could even understand what was happening, I found myself in Khalid's arms.

His one arm circled around my waist as the other rested under my knees. His move was so sudden that I had quickly circled my arms around his neck.

"Ah" a small shriek escaped my lips as his move took me by surprise.

I looked at him, only to find my face inches away from his. I could clearly see his sharp jawline and his chiseled cheekbone. His eyebrows and eyelashes were clearly heavily blessed.