40.

Mahira

I quickly got into my friend's car and urged her to start the engine as soon as possible.

I knew that waiting here any longer would only lead to trouble, and I couldn't afford any more complications.

The cool breeze brushed against my face as the car glided smoothly along. Kiara, my friend who was driving, sat in silence beside me, not asking any questions, though I could tell she must have had plenty on her mind.

I gripped my phone tightly, closed my eyes, and took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing thoughts.

"I know you must have a lot of questions, Kiara" I said, breaking the silence between us.

"But this is my only way out. There are things you don't know about, and it's better that way" I continued.

She turned her gaze towards me for a split second. "I'm confused. The guy you're going to marry seems like a catch. Why do you want to do this?" she questioned, her tone filled with uncertainty and concern.

I had already seen that question coming. "Everything is not as it seems, Ki. That guy is not who you think he is, and besides, you don't even know who I'm marrying. You haven't seen him once" I replied, but soon a realization sparked in.

She does know him. She saw him in Dehrapur. How could I forget?

She was about to speak up, but I cut her off. "You do know him" I said in a trance-like state.

"What do you mean, Mahira?" she questioned.

"He's no Agastya Rathore" I continued, and she turned to look at me, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"But instead he is, Khalid Ibrahim" I spoke, only for her to slam on the brakes and stop the car in the middle of the road.

"What!?" she yelled in disbelief, staring at me in shock. Well, that was quite a dramatic reaction.

I nodded silently and looked away. "Will you even care to explain, Mahira!?" she yelled again, her voice filled with urgency and frustration.

I sighed and met her gaze. "It's a long story, Ki, but believe me, he's not who he seems. He's a psychopath, an underground gang leader—anything you can imagine" I explained, but she looked at me skeptically, clearly not ready to believe my words.

"Come on, Mahira. We all know there's no way 'The Khalid Ibrahim' would be here to marry you. Stop joking and tell me the real reason" she remarked, looking at me with narrowed eyes, clearly skeptical of my explanation.

"You won't be saying that when you're held at gunpoint by him for helping me out" I scoffed, my gaze drifting away.

"Start the car, we're running late" I insisted, cutting off any further conversation. She looked at me in disbelief for another moment before finally starting the engine.

I sensed she wanted to argue, and she probably would, but not now.

I tried to calm my racing heart and closed my eyes.

******
I glanced around as the car finally came to a halt after what felt like an hour.

I knew by now, Khalid would have surely realized my absence at home.