Discussion

Rimuru's POV

After entering the city premises I hurry to the centre square.

A large crowd had gathered in the city; their faces gloomy.

After noticing my arrival, the group opened a path and knelt before me. And, in this state, a few people appeared before me. Rigurdo and Kaijin.

"Rimuru-sama, we are overjoyed that you have returned to us. There are matters we must hear your opinion on, so please come this way..."

They are... preventing me from continuing forward?

Seems like there's something up ahead. I have a bad feeling about this.

"Rigurdo, Kaijin. Move of out the way. I already know what happened"

At my command, the people timidly cleared the way.

What appeared before me, that scene. Countless monsters lay there. Men, women, and even children. Appearing as if they were sleeping...All dead. A total of 100 friends lay before me.

Eh... all... are dead? You're lying, aren't you?!

My mind doesn't focus. Though I have no need for it, I feel out of breath.

Though I lack a heart, it beats violently in my chest.

「What is this, what happened?」

My voice escaped my lips.

A cold voice that can be heard from far away.

I felt my heart grow cold.

Rigurdo explained to the trembling me,

"A while ago, we were attacked by a group which identified themselves as the followers of the Western Saint's Church along with knights of Farmus and Ehrenfest ".

We suddenly lost contact with other groups, and due to the sudden lethargy we felt...

Furthermore, we were attacked by a group which disguised themselves as adventurers.」

Western Saint's Church... the group Hinata spoke of arrived faster than I expected.

Next, a Hobgoblin elder continued

"As you have ordered, we welcomed the humans with respect without harming them "

"F-fool! Are you trying to say this is Rimuru-sama's fault!"

Rigurdo countered, enraged.

"P-please forgive me! I meant no such..." A distant apology resounded, but it did not reach my heart. I see, my order, my words caused this...

I am a monster, who used to be a human. I just wanted to get along with humans but reality is far more cruel. Then what should I be doing!!!

... who knows? Think for yourself.

A voice rang inside my head, denying responsibility.

But I will not permit it. I am the cause of this tragedy; the responsibility is mine.

I felt extreme regret and bottomless anger well-up within my heart.

............

.......

...

Calling a conference of the elders, we reconfirm the situation.

Even in this shaken state, my mind was able to properly assess the situation.

First, there were three assailants.

In ten minutes, they were able to kill a hundred of us.

By the looks of it, the group that set up the barrier remained outside of it, so their actual numbers are unconfirmed.