Chapter Twelve: Betrayal and Lies

I just want to take a second of respect to Chance.  Words could not describe how shocked I was when I saw the article online. He was such a talented actor and he was taken too soon, his work and name shall be remembered.

Rest in Peace Chance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sofia had her nails pressed against the skin of her hands, her quiet state sat in a booth with mostly everyone besides Cate, Sam and Emma. Cate made a phone call to Shetty while Emma took Sam to her dorm. They needed a place for him to safely stay and Emma volunteered to take him there, which was no surprise to any of them. Jordan rubbed small circles on her thigh underneath the table to try and comfort her while Andre and Marie talked about what they're supposed to do next.

The people around them were loud as they all had their separate conversations, not even noticing the four nervous teens looking for any kind of danger that could add to the pile of events they've already been through. Her mind flooded with the thought of all the things that had happened within the last week or so, she honestly can't remember what day it was anymore or what memories were real at the moment since her discover of the second life she was living. It was hard to think that she went to Shetty to take her own memories away, but Cate explained to her that in her first year here she was miserable, she would refuse to go near anyway or participate in any activates at school.

After about half a semester Shetty called Sofia down to her office and that's when it all changed for her. She was still distant from people but not for what she thought she was.  Sofia pressed her nails harder against her skin, piercing it as red slowly and started to form around her fingers. The only thing that stopped her from pressing harder was when Cate pulled her out of her thoughts as she sat down next to Andre.

"Shetty can't meet right now."

"The fuck is that supposed to mean?" Jordan asked, angrily.

Marie sighed. "Where is she?"

"The city." Cate answered, looking at the table. "She'll be back later."

"So what do we do?" Jordan responded as they leaned forward.

"I'll wait for her at her house and then, when she comes home I'll make her tell everyone everything." Cate could hear all of their thoughts since not one of them believed her. All of them were not to trusting of her being by herself.

"I'll go with her." Andre spoke up.

"It's okay."

Andre laughed at Cate. "Nah. I'm going."

"You can trust me." Cate said dramatically turning her head away.

Jordan switched to male form. "Stay out of our fucking heads. Then maybe we'll trust you."

"Jordan." Marie spoke out as they stood up and walked away.

"I got it." Sofia mumbled quietly as she stood from the booth and slowly went to follow them.

"I swear." Cate stated, making Sofia stop and look at her. "I swear you can."

"I want to believe you."  Sofia responded as she crossed her arms around her chest awkwardly.

Cate smiled. "I know you do."

Sofia gave her a small nod before following her Jordan. The wind hitting her a bit as she walked after them. Trying to think of what to say. "Hey, just stop okay?"

"She was reading our fucking thoughts Sof."

Sofia tightened her arms closer to her chest. "You know, she probably can't help it."