Chapter 9 - Terror

Before long, the entire town was buzzing with talk of "the carnival murder," and my mind was consumed with regret over my failure to prevent it.

The school mandated a two-day break for everyone, and I confined myself to my room. While my friends speculated that I was grappling with survivors' guilt, I was acutely aware of the fact that I could have intervened.

I sat in my room and my phone had stopped ringing i was too lost in my thoughts to even notice

I could have stopped it

Why didn't I think he was capable of this?

Why me?

Eventually, my phone stopped ringing but then I heard banging on my door and I couldn't be bothered to get up, I sat slumped over in my chair consumed by thoughts.

After thirty minutes I got up abruptly and opened my door to see more roses in a beautiful red and white vase with a note attached.

With a touch of hesitation, I seized the note and unfolded it slowly.

"My love, I never intended to bring tears to your eyes."

Snatching the vase, I brought it inside and closed the door. Opening my phone, I was met with a staggering 243 missed calls and 543 unread text messages.

"Jesus," I muttered under my breath as I sifted through the texts.

Babe

Fine, Im sorry

Answer please

Why are you not reading this?

I know you hear it ringing

Fine maybe i went a little overboard

It went on like that for a while, he saw the fact I read and immediately sent another text

Babe

Did you like the roses?

Me

No

Babe

Was it the hue? I can alter the color, or

perhaps it was the flower variety?

Do you have another favorite?

Can I present you with additional flowers?

Or maybe a bracelet?

Is that something you desire?

Me

No, why are you only focused on the flowers?

Babe

Because I want you to not be sad anymore,

you shouldn't be sad over that girl

your better than her in every way possible